Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Want to re-barrel savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: Want to re-barrel savage

I received from Shilen a 26" CM Bull barrel/ 1 in 10 RH twist, 11* target crown. They trued the action to the barrel, set the head spacing. Including shipping back to me totaled $405.00, and the job took 7 weeks. I have only 35 rounds through this rifle, and it has been patch cleaned only with Butchers Bore shine 20 times. The barrel seems to be very slick. I choose Shilen after reading the article on the home page Savage tactical rifle build. I hope I can start shooting again soon. This is my first and only custom rifle barrel I own
Bill Maylor..
Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maylor View Post
I received from Shilen a 26" CM Bull barrel/ 1 in 10 RH twist, 11* target crown. They trued the action to the barrel, set the head spacing. Including shipping back to me totaled $405.00, and the job took 7 weeks. I have only 35 rounds through this rifle, and it has been patch cleaned only with Butchers Bore shine 20 times. The barrel seems to be very slick. I choose Shilen after reading the article on the home page Savage tactical rifle build. I hope I can start shooting again soon. This is my first and only custom rifle barrel I own
Bill Maylor..
So the main question is how does it shoot? I'm looking into starting a savage/shilen project myself.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

I like everything about this barrel so far. I really dont know how it groups yet because I just started handloading after putting this rifle together. I am not real good at reloading yet and was trying load development and breaking the barrel in at the same time. I hope this is not a mistake. I feel the barrel is broke in now, and found I did not set up my reloading dies correctly resulting in a verity of groups. I then had shoulder surgery in June so I have not shot since then. I know the cleaning patches sure slide through without any friction and very little deposits. Seems to me you can take a good action and have a company like Shilen make a barrel and put them together, then find you a stock you like and have a rifle that shoots better then a box rifle at any store. I sure have learned a lot reading articles on this site. It is my first build and I am pleased so far. Bill Maylor..

Last edited by Bill Maylor; 09-18-2010 at 10:10 PM.