Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Want opinions from 7mm AM, 300 AX and 338 AX owners...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Want opinions from 7mm AM, 300 AX and 338 AX owners...

Correcly headstamped and fireformed brass for the 7mm AM at the same price as nonfireformed Lapua brand brass along with the reintroduction of the 200 gr ULD RBBT by Wildcat Bullets should certainly make the 7mm AM very attractive. I know it would to me.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by sambo3006; 04-07-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Unread 04-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby, I guess your asking for replies in general from guys that may not use your rifles so here is mine. If I had one of your guns it would make no difference to me if it had a correct headstamp. I mean I would not pay extra for it. All of my ammo boxes are full of cases that are not the correct headstamp but were the best value for reloading. You may need to make available limited special order correct headstamps for international travel maybe but I do not think it would be good economics to spend a lot of money to make it readily and widely available. Do they check it all that close going through customs. In other words if all cases said 338 Lapua in a box would they know it was actually your wildcat lapua. Do they get that critical with rifle barrel stamps and cases? Maybe for international travel guys it would be cheaper to stamp the barrel 338 lapua imp. and then the 338 lapua brass would probably work.

It would be rare to find a correct headstamp in any of my ammo boxes because I go for value as many reloaders do. My sons 257 wby ammo box are all 7mm wby brass because I got a deal on them. All my 338-378 wby brass is 378 wby because I got a deal. All my 264 win mag brass is 7mm rem mag. My 340 wby is 300 H&H and 300 wby in remington brass because it is way cheaper than wby. I use any standard magnum for any standard magnum depending on what I got a deal on. All my 308 or 30-06 case chamberings may be anything based off that parent case. Between the 308, 30-06, short standard mag case and long standard mag case I can make virtually anything so I use what I get a deal on.

I don't know what your clientel is but most reloaders want performance and value. Your cartridges meet the performance label and many guys may not care what the stamp says as long as it is the best price. I think you would have very limited sales of expensive correct headstamped brass.
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

I personally would like proper headstamped brass. Especially if it offers an issue w/ customs. I havent made the dip into the 338AX yet but I am working on it! This will be my first custom wildcat rifle and I would really like properly stamped brass. Even though there isnt very many 338Ls in this area I wouldnt want to get it mixed in if I go to a range with a guy sitting next to me w/ a 338L.

Especially if the brass quality is better!
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby,
As a future customer of yours I know I would love to have correctly head stamped brass. I'm having you build a 7AM for me. Just waiting on a barrel now.

My only concern would be the quality of Brass would need to be up there. I'm sure before you jump into this you will do more extensive testing so I'm not worried about it.
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

Kirby,

I like the idea. Its a great option, I dont know how many rifles you build every year in these calibers. From a business stand point you need to look at cash flow and how long your money is going to be tied up sitting on the shelf.

You are the only one that knows this. I would use your 338 Allen mag as a starting point. Look at how many people that you have built 338 Allen mags for? How many of those people buy brass from you?

I know I hate fire forming and preping brass I appreciate being able to buy brass from you. Out of the 3 choices look at you past build data and do the math. What chambering are you building the most rifles in? Start small and build up when funds are available to expand your Allen Mag line than do so.

Another thought, I dont know how your customers feel about this but, just make it manditory that every rifle you build for someone the customer must buy the first 100 pieces of brass from you. Better yet include it in your build price and tell them that you are giving them their first 100 pieces of brass free.

I would focus on what you do best Kirby and that is building rifles. Do you really have the time to mess with this brass? Are you making any money off of it? Are you happy with your margins?

Just my thoughts hope it helps. I wish you all the success in the world and I really enjoy my 338 Allen Mag. Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the shooting sports.
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby:

I like the idea of the right headstamp but would be a little hesitant about starting with too many since it's being compared to the best brass out there. If you go with the "little" 7mm, put me down for a hundred, fireformed, to start with and if they hold up I'd be interested in more.
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

For those of you that wonder why Kirby would go to all of the trouble of doing this and if it's a good decision on his part, then you need to research the boy a little bit more.

Kirby is they kind of guy that never settles for status quo and is never happy building A, B and C if he know that he can build D, E and F that will do even better. He's also the kind of guy that would do something like this for his customers if he could even just break even.

I, for one, am happy that there's still somebody out there that keeps stretching the envelope so that we can sit home and wait for him to come up with something new that we can spend our money on.

I sometimes think the days in Montana must be 25 or 26 hours long for him to get done all that he does. Now quit talking about it and get those new cases coming.