Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Vias and other breaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Bronze Member

Vias and other breaks

What are your thoughts on muzzle breaks. Are the worth the increase in the bark of the rifle? Will they really reduce the felt recoil of a .300 win down to that of a .270?

If they are worth it, what is the best break and what are the chances of getting a bad one?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Vias and other breaks

In my opinion they are definately worth it if you shoot your rifle a lot from a bench and heavy recoil is an issue or if you shoot a magnum rifle and the recoil is affecting your accuracy and becomes your main concern when trying to shoot.

In my opinion the only thing you should be thinking about when shooting are the conditions and aiming....not what the recoil is about to feel like.

Having said that, the only breaks I have any experience with are the Vias and the Hart breaks. There is no comparison, the Hart break hands down reduces the felt recoil and muzzle rise a lot more than the Vias.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Gold Member

All brakes are not created equal as far as recoil reduction is concerned. The "perforated" brakes such as Vias, Weatherby and the like are not as effective as brakes that have partioned chambers such as Painkiller's, DE brakes,Muscle brakes,Holland brakes or SSG brakes. ALL brakes create more noise, regardless what their advertising lets on. Also, if one is shooting from the prone position on the ground, the perforated brakes will cover the shooter with whatever loose debris is on the ground. The partioned brakes offer especially good recoil reduction.
Hope this helps.

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 03-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Bronze Member

Most quality brakes, including Vais (of which I have several), will reduce your felt recoil significantly. More important to me is muzzle control. All of my bench and tactical rigs sport brakes for this very reason. None of my hunting rifles wear a brake.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Bronze Member

This rifle will be mainly for long range hunting and limited paper punching. So I am gathering that I should go without the break...
Old 03-30-2011, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Hunter View Post
This rifle will be mainly for long range hunting and limited paper punching. So I am gathering that I should go without the break...

Not necessarily.

do not get a brake that has holes all the way around like the Vais. Very effective, but will blow dirt back up in your face when shooting from a bipod.

get the other style mentioned like the holland, edge etc.

You can also have your gunsmith make a threaded cap so you can take the brake off to hunt and put the cap over the threads. Just need to confirm no POI change when doing that before the hunt.

BH
Old 03-30-2011, 06:33 AM
Bronze Member

If I were hunting with a 300 WM, I may consider putting a brake on it, especially if it is a light rifle.

If you shoot prone with a Vais type brake, you do need to avoid laying in the dust, but I generally try to avoid doing that anyway. Won't shove it back in your face, only raise a cloud. This could potentially slow down a follow up shot. Shoot in the grass, or lay a pad down at the range, and you'll be fine. Regardless, I find this is more of a problem out west where the dust can be extremely fine and dry. Here in the NE, I have had to take occasional shots in the dirt and only encountered a very minor "puff".

Like others have said, if you go with a brake, take it off for hunting. The ears you save may be your hunting partner's!

Last edited by Bearwalk; 03-30-2011 at 06:37 AM.