Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Very Low Drag Bullet design / turned solids

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Very Low Drag Bullet design / turned solids

Hi Folks!

I recently really enjoyed reading Brian Litz' book "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" and really got interested in the part about bullet construction and its influence on BC.
I did some research myself and came across nose cone desings that follow mathematical equations like sear-haack, Von Karman and so on...
Even different tail types that reduce drag more than conventional boat tails.

I would really like to be able to get all the information to design very low drag bullets and turn them from solid brass or copper. I don't just want to copy current designs. Has anybody recommendations on books that cover this topic or any sources on the web?
I'm not afraid of mathematics as long as I don't need some kind of NASA super computer to do the calculations...

I know that I won't be able to create a "hyper low drag" bullet without proper testing, research and so on, however I would like to learn about all that in more depth than it's explained in Brian Litz' book.

thanks in advance

romeyo
Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Very Low Drag Bullet design / turned solids

Romeyo,

See:
Amazon.com: Modern Exterior Ballistics: The Launch and Flight Dynamics of Symmetric Projectiles (9780764307201): Robert L. McCoy: Books

Don't forget to print the extensive corrections sheet:
http://www.dexadine.com/download/mccoy04.pdf

McCoy goes into much greater depth on projectile drag. If you have a lathe to turn your own solids, then you have the flexibility to try many variations. Squeezing the jello, converging and optimizing on a shape is much easier with lathe turned shapes than with swaged bullets because of the expense of creating new dies.

I hope you make some 'hyper low drag' bullets and share your results!

Good luck!

-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Thank you for the recommendation Bryan! And sorry for spelling your name wrong...

I call a lathe my own... unfortunately it's just a manual one.
However, the company a friend of mine works got a cnc lathe. I'm able to do CAD-modelizing so the only problem would be aviability. Those machines typically don't stand around unused all day long ^^ But he told me it should be possible.

I'd also need some more eqipment for proper testing and since I'm a stundent getting together all the money might take a little while.
So I thought reading and learning as much as possible would be the best thing to do while watching account balance increasing...

Of course I will share results if you wish to, but don't expect them within the next few days ;-)

regards
Romeyo
Old 01-06-2010, 03:09 PM

We have made extremely high BC solid bullets in Finland. That is .30cal bullet, low weight and high BC. It´s possible to send 3600fps from 300 Lapua Magnum.
www.finsolid.com

Last edited by 3875XLN; 01-13-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3875XLN View Post
We have made extremely high BC solid bullets in Finland. That is .30cal bullet, low weight and high BC. It´s possible to send 3600fps from 300 Lapua Magnum.
www.kokeilutarvike.com
>.6 BC out of a 160 grain .30 cal? You guys need to bring those across the pond!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 AM

This link has good information with a .8 BC 30 cal, and other good bits of info on the web site.
GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use
Also search a little about Noel Carlson on this web site and Snipers Hyde.
Search viking bullet from over the pond.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM

I checked those out (Vikings by Lutz Möller, Germany) , seem to be pretty impressive with an G1BC of ~1.54... however, it's calculated and not measured, and no note about what velocity band it's true for...

.375 Chey Tac Cartridge and Bullet

But as said, I would like to know "all" the basics about projectile drag to be able to design a superb performer myself, and not just copy current designs.
It's not just having a bullet with exeptional ballistic performance that interests me, it's also the knowledge of creating such a bullet... the how and the why...

romeyo

Last edited by Romeyo; 01-07-2010 at 11:02 AM.