Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Velocity Magnatude Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Velocity Magnatude Questions

Okay I have had someone else trying to explain this to me but it has not soaked into my thick skull. Maybe someone here can explain where I can understand.

Maybe I am retarded but it makes no sense to me that taking two identical bullets leaving a bore at differing velocities that the slower bullet would ever travel further that the bullet that had the higher velocity.

Here is the part of the explanation that I have been given that I do understand. A bullet leaving the muzzle at a faster velocity has greater forces applied upon it. Like the difference between sticking your arm out the window at 40 and at 80 miles per hour.

Here is my problem with the whole explanation. My inability to grasp this apparently counter intuitive concept comes at this point. Once the faster bullet slows to the same velocity as the slower bullet would the forces being applied upon the bullets be the same and at that point both slow at the same rate?

Unread 04-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Velocity Magnatude Questions

Eddybo,

no, you've got it just right here. If we're talking about two identical bullets being fired at the optimum angle for max distance, the one that starts off faster will go farther.

Is it possible that there was something that was missed in relating this, such as a more streamlined, heavier, higher BC bullet being fired at a lower velocity? Plenty of examples there, and that makes perfect sense. Otherwise, I'm missing something here. Are we talking theoretical flight in a vacuum?

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Eddybo,

no, you've got it just right here. If we're talking about two identical bullets being fired at the optimum angle for max distance, the one that starts off faster will go farther.

Is it possible that there was something that was missed in relating this, such as a more streamlined, heavier, higher BC bullet being fired at a lower velocity? Plenty of examples there, and that makes perfect sense. Otherwise, I'm missing something here. Are we talking theoretical flight in a vacuum?

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
+1......No rocket science there if the bullets re indeed identical......Rich
Unread 04-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
+1......No rocket science there if the bullets re indeed identical......Rich
The way the faster bullet could travel a shorter distance is if it deforms or breaks up.
That can happen with fast twist barrels and light weight bullets. Bullets which are identical before firing certainly don't have to remain identical over their trajectories.
Unread 04-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Well, that settles it for sure.

Being as you now know that 338 AM don't give you any advantage over the 33 Win in a 1886 lever gun I am guessing you are really down in the dumps. Just to cheer you up I'll swing by Walmart and get you a nice 338 Federal in nice plastic mattie mattel armalite and you can hand off that powder guzzling AM to me.
Unread 04-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
The way the faster bullet could travel a shorter distance is if it deforms or breaks up.
That can happen with fast twist barrels and light weight bullets. Bullets which are identical before firing certainly don't have to remain identical over their trajectories.
I would certainly agree with that! I was coming from premise that the bullet was starting and staying the same. Who ever made the original comment to the poster would have to be quized a little I guess
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Yall seem to believe similar to my own thoughts on the subject. This started over on the hide. I had a post regard the 375/416 that I am going to be playing with. I was told that I would be launching the bullets too fast and that they would slow down to fast. I thought they were just jacking with me, but did not want call them on it. I finally got curious and sent a PM to one of the guys. He tried to explain it but I am not seeing it. Now I know one of these guys "Later" while we have never met have several mutual friends and have conversed on the phone several times.......is he jacking with me? Later knows a lot of crap I am sure he knows more minutia about external ballistics than I do. The only thing I know about this stuff is functional.

416 barret brass quality??+ other ????s - Sniper's Hide Forums