Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Velocity gains in .260 Remington?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Velocity gains in .260 Remington?

After talking to another shooter who had similar results from this well-known smith, I took the rifle apart today and found that in addition to everything else above he A)put a very used and corroded cheap stamped steel follower and used spring in, charged me for new, B)put in a cracked plastic garbage trigger guard (with only the rear screw in it) and charged me for new, C)it looks like he hogged out the inside of the stock for the longer mag box with a hand drill, and D)never even smoothed the rails, and I found metal shaving, epoxy and cutting oil around the rear of the chamber! I'm going back today to try and work it out with him. If he doesn't make it right I will be posting the name and a whole bunch of close up pictures on my home page so otheres here can know who to stay clear of. You'll be surprised at who it is. I'll post any future follow up on this in the general discussion forum in a separate thread as we've gotten off track.

So to get back on track here, does anyone have any additional thoughts on what max. velocity gains there might be between a .260 round at 2.8" vs. 2.9"? Thanks for any input!

[ 07-21-2004: Message edited by: Beartrack ]

Old 07-22-2004, 11:53 PM

I'd say about now would be a great time to tell us who this reputable smith is, so as to avoid anyone else suffering the same fate.
Eh?
Old 08-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

The gun smith was Jim Cloward.

Around 20 pictures showing what areas I felt were problems are at:
http://groups.msn.com/RockCrawler4x4...imcloward.msnw

I took the rifle back, and after a great deal of objection and exasperation on his part he did agree to work on it a bit more. After his getting the work done late, I went to pick up the rifle. He had glued the (somewhat undersized due to over-sanding/grinding) pad onto the stock to eliminate the gaps -mostly (and some glue left on the stock), he machined the shroud to eliminate the contact between the shroud and receiver under recoil (done well), he put a very light coat of something blackish and chalky on at least some areas of the stock inletting (apparently in an effort to address my moisture concernsbut it was so thin I ended up redoing it all myself) and he rethroated the barrel as requested. He then told me that "he had more experience than 20 of me" and that I was making a mistake on that rethroating and had thrown away half the usable barrel life in doing so. He went on to say that I shouldn't ask for his opinion (as I did on the throating) unless I was going to follow it, and that he doesn't like working on rifles when people don't follow his advice. He also told me again that normally I'd better understand he charges $25 for rethroating (though I'd requested it originally when the new barrel was ordered and the chambering selected.) He also didn't take responsibility for any of the quality issues I'd brought up, said that I was more trouble than anyone he'd ever had, didn't want to do any more work of mine and said he'd had enough and didn't want to talk any more. Only after coming back into his shop did he reluctantly refund me $17.50 for the broken plastic trigger guard that I replaced with a stainless as requested originally which cost me about $30.

Needless to say I won't be going back.

All that to say take a look at the pictures and be your own judge. I am not here to say he can't do impeccable works of art. Obviously from his reputation he can and sometimes does. I am just making others aware from the pictures that the reality is he also does work on the other opposite end of the workmanship spectrum, and show an example of what they may or may not get if they order a rifle from him.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

Oh my [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Scott, email me (again) pls. Lost your info since last time.

Thanks,

Monte

[ 08-09-2004: Message edited by: milanuk ]
Old 08-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Bronze Member

It gets worse - after everything that's happened I figured I'd better check to make sure he even floated the barrel properly. Guess what? There was a large drip of bedding that hits the barrel (and several other high spots) about 6" up the barrel channel! I've added that just now to my site pictures with a number of orange arrows to point out the high spots.

Milanuk: I'll email you shortly.

[ 08-09-2004: Message edited by: Beartrack ]
Old 08-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Silver Member

i had a bunch of work done at www.rwhart.com it was worth every penny and then some thanks,keith