Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Velocity dropping each shot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 11:15 PM

Velocity dropping each shot?

So, i was out shooting today and it was pretty bitterly cold. (-20 or -25 Celsius ) Shooting over a chrony, my first shot in each string was quite a but faster than successive shots getting slower each firing. Results are (in order):

Group 1:

Group 2:

As you can see in group 2 the difference is 100 FPS!!!!! I am in need of some guidance once more! What is the cause? Is it shooting cold bore in extreme cold yields higher velocities? i need some help cause im stumped!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Velocity dropping each shot?

Have you ever shot this load under other conditions?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Could be the chronograph is getting too cold. Check your owner's manual and see what temps it's rated for.

The first group is within reason. But the continuing decline to 100 fps difference in the second string seems excessive.

You didn't tell us if the ammo and gun started warm and then cooled off. Or if everything was cooled down to -20 before the first shot was fired. Same with the chrono. Did it start warm in your back yard or was it completely cooled down to outdoor air temperatures with the first shot fired.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:23 AM
Gold Member

could the battery in your chrony be getting weak ?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Could also be barrel temp. When that barrel is COLD it is smaller in diameter in the bore and thus will create more pressure and more velocity. After firing it has warmed up and expanded and thus less pressure is built up and velocity is less.

I had trigger issues once going from warm to cold. In the summer I set my trigger and it work fine. When I went hunting that winter and it got down into the 20* the rifle would not stay cocked. Metal had contracted just enough to not allow the sear to engage. Had to reset the trigger.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
Could also be barrel temp. When that barrel is COLD it is smaller in diameter in the bore and thus will create more pressure and more velocity. After firing it has warmed up and expanded and thus less pressure is built up and velocity is less.
I was thinking the same thing. Another shooter, in another forum reported similar results shooting in zero degree weather.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

I just went through the same thing the other day with my Pro Chrono in freezing temps, 25-30. I brought it instead of my Oehler because it get usually gives very similar data with less set up time. I got 100 FPS spreads, also starting high then dropping. This occured even on loads that were previously tested. I usually bring loads that have confirmed velocities just to have a standard of comparison. Went and got the Oehler 35, and all was well. The chronograph was definitely effected in my case.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt