Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag make over and load development

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ashflat, AR
Posts: 385
Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag make over and load development

Just gave my dad's old vanguard a make over for him. Gave him the stockys thumbhole stock that wont fit mine any more. Ordered him a timney trigger and put in it. Then topped it off with a EGW 20 moa rail, burris extreme tactical rings and a vortex pst.

Zeroed it at 50 with some factory superformance loads then shot a few from 71 to 73 gr's of RL25 under 150gr TTSXs checking for pressure.

Today i started the actual load testing with it.

First 3 shots cold barrel, 71gr @ 200 yards



.550" up and down, didn't really see any need in trying the others.

Here is the rifle

__________________
Weatherby Vanguard 7mmx300win
Weatherby Vanguard 277 Magnum (awaiting assembly)
Weatherby Vanguard 257wby
Savage LRH 6.5x284
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 09-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NW Louisana
Posts: 310
Re: Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag make over and load development

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummin_un_glued View Post
Just gave my dad's old vanguard a make over for him. Gave him the stockys thumbhole stock that wont fit mine any more. Ordered him a timney trigger and put in it. Then topped it off with a EGW 20 moa rail, burris extreme tactical rings and a vortex pst.

Zeroed it at 50 with some factory superformance loads then shot a few from 71 to 73 gr's of RL25 under 150gr TTSXs checking for pressure.

Today i started the actual load testing with it.

First 3 shots cold barrel, 71gr @ 200 yards



.550" up and down, didn't really see any need in trying the others.

Here is the rifle

Looks to me like all you need to do is move the crosshairs to the right an shoot!!!! Very nice looking rifle!!! If it shoots like that now, I would leave it alone an shoot!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,920
Re: Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag make over and load development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
Looks to me like all you need to do is move the crosshairs to the right an shoot!!!! Very nice looking rifle!!! If it shoots like that now, I would leave it alone an shoot!!!
I agree with Dick. Looks done to me, other than centering up your crosshairs.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ashflat, AR
Posts: 385
Re: Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag make over and load development

Already moved them over. I was pretty impressed by that old gun. He bought that one and the one I just rebarreled both back when I was around 12 yr old. That old gun has taken a lot of game. Including all but the big whitetail in the background. He bought a 270 wsm last year that he packs now so he decided to make a long range rig out of this old gun.

Now if my new 7x300 shoots that good or better we will be all set for Oct when we go visit Tyler Sims again!
__________________
Weatherby Vanguard 7mmx300win
Weatherby Vanguard 277 Magnum (awaiting assembly)
Weatherby Vanguard 257wby
Savage LRH 6.5x284
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NW Louisana
Posts: 310
Re: Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag make over and load development

I've owned a couple of the vanguard's, one in 7 mag, the other in 300 mag. Both shot very good!! Again, leave that thing alone an go shoot! I think you nailed it first time out! Good shooting to ya!!!!!

DT
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag make over and load development

Very nice indeed! With a little basic care and attention those Vanguards can shoot very well.

Good Job!
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,904
Re: Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag make over and load development

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Very nice indeed! With a little basic care and attention those Vanguards can shoot very well.

Good Job!

I just love hearing that!....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC