Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Using magnum primers instead of large rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Silver Member

Re: Using magnum primers instead of large rifle?

I use CCI 250 primers in everything large rifle that I load for. 22-250 on up. I have never had any pressure issues or accuracy problems. Ya, it is not needed for everything, but I wanted to buy one primer for everything to keep it simple.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapiti13 View Post
Primers are a very critical facctor in your accuracy formula, especially if you are pushing the envelope. Using a fat type case, such as the 300 WSM, 284, etc., I have been doing a primer experiment for my own knowledge based on some recommendations from Ram Shot & CCI. In several instances, just a change of primer has really had some eye opening effects. For instance, using both H414 & Ram Shot Hunter in max loads with a 284, velocity,standard deviation, and pressure have been changed to a verifyable basis. Some primers are hotter than others, not just magnum vs standard primers. For example, using a max load of H414 with a WLR primer as the starting point, everything was left the same with only a change of primer. Going to a Fed 210M, velocity increased 70 fps with a drop in pressure, and much better Sd. This was verified with several additional loads run over my Oehler chrono. In another instance, Ram Shot suggests using a standard primer in most loads under a 60 grain or so load. Approaching larger loads, experimentation is suggested. Their powders are designed to burn slower for consistency. Using too hot a primer can cause the powder to light off too fast and not do its best. Using Hunter powder in a max load in the same rifle with a different bullet, after max pressure was reached and then backed off 1 grain using a CCI magnum primer. A WLR primer,Fed 210, Fed 210M, & Fed 215 were changed with everything remaining the same. Again, pressure sign changed, velocities changed, and Sd changed. In fact, as suggested by Ram Shot, velocities were much higher (over 100 fps)by using std primers vs magnum primers. Same has held true with H4350 and several other powders in similar burning rates. Just a reference for your future load developments. Good luck. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Interesting... I am using Fed GM215M with H4350 in my 300 WSM. I'll have to do some experimenting with the 210's
Old 05-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Gold Member

In my 270WSM same load I used 9.5,9.5m,WLRM,WLR,215,215m,CCI-200,210 there was 11fps spread on that load 58gr/IMR4350 150gr bullets. In my 300WSM I use either Fed 215,210 and in my 6.5x284 I haven't had a problem switching primers.

I've done the same thing in my varmit rifles with Fed 205 and Rem 7 1/2.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

Primers are just another variable in the formula. Others are powder burn rate, barrel length, case capacity, bullet weight, neck tension, twist and on and on. You just have to find what works best. For example, in a 300 RUM, I use F 210s when ignighting RL 25. Then with my 244 Ak, I use Rem 9 1/2s with I 4350. Should be the other way around, but it's not. Bottom line is, a mag primer is not always needed.
db
Old 07-28-2013, 06:02 PM

After reading this thread I am more confused about which primer to use than when I started. I am just starting out reloading and have bought some LR Magnum primers from Federal. I recently have purchased a .280 A.I. and already had a .300 win mag that I am still waiting on brass for to begin reloading for that. What is the best method to figure out what to use so you donít end up with a bunch of primers that will not be used. Thanks for the information and look forward to reading the response.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalky47 View Post
After reading this thread I am more confused about which primer to use than when I started. I am just starting out reloading and have bought some LR Magnum primers from Federal. I recently have purchased a .280 A.I. and already had a .300 win mag that I am still waiting on brass for to begin reloading for that. What is the best method to figure out what to use so you donít end up with a bunch of primers that will not be used. Thanks for the information and look forward to reading the response.
The 215 is a great primer. I've got thousands loaded. The others are correct that a mag. primer isn't always need but it can usually be used to good effect if you start with it right away or re-work an existing load to accomodate it. Do NOT simply swap and hope. I shoot in cold weather often and usually use more primer than necessary to ensure good fire in below zero temps.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

From the grave, it arises, not once, but TWICE.

Behold, the undefeatable Zombie thread...