Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Upgrading my big 8 rem mag for long range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Upgrading my big 8 rem mag for long range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTrials View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! I really want to learn all the specifics that go into this. I've had a hard time finding much info on it.

I'd have to imagine even the magazine spring feeder floorplate would have to change also?

It's tough to decide whether to trick this rifle out or not, I will always be limited by .323 bullets and the light contour barrel, although maybe i can get really good groups with the current barrel if i upgrade the stock and glass bed it. I think changing the barrel and/or caliber would be too much, id probably be better off getting another rifle. I have no idea what finding a bull barrel for 8mm rem mag would cost, i have to assume not cheap.

at the least i want to get a new stock and bed it (so i don't risk screwing up the old original nice wooden stock)

So, to pick out a new stock for my rifle what am i limited to? Are stocks designed specific for each chambering? or just long/short action?
The floorplate wouldn't have to change unless you're going from standard to magnum, or magnum to ultra magnum calibers, or vice-versa.

Stocks are based on several aspects... Brand, model, action length (short or long), barrel contour (sporter, bull/varmint, M24/MTU), blind magazine (internal magazine like a Remington ADL) or hinged floorplate (which is like your rifle, where you pop the floorplate open and the rounds in the magazine drop out).

www.stockysstocks.com can help.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have no idea what finding a bull barrel for 8mm rem mag would cost, i have to assume not cheap.
Krieger has one on the shelf.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Krieger has one on the shelf.
And it's probably a little dusty, too.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have an older model 700 bdl in 8mm remington magnum, I got into reloading because of it, have all the stuff, even found some bullets with decent BCs for it (.323")

It's completely original with the bdl wooden stock, so my question is, What do I need to look for in a new stock? The action is longer than a standard "long action" so I have no idea what to look for in a new stock. Will a long magnum action stock work? It has the standard contour barrel... I assume just a decent synthetic stock and bedding will be good enough for a long range gun?

My uncle who handed it down to me seems to think I should just keep it as is and buy a new rifle for long range, however i already have all the reloading stuff for it and don't have much money to work with. Planning on getting maybe a vortex viper for optics. It has an older leupold vari-x 3 on it without finger adjustable turrets.

What do you guys think? Will modding it for long range be worth it or should i just save up for a rifle already set up for long range precision?
If I were you, I would stick to 8mm and get your gun upgraded. You won't regret it! 8mm RM is a fantastic round for almost all hunting purposes from deer size to moose including dangerous game (brown bear). With the 8mm RM youíll be even allowed to hunt the BIG FIVE in Central Africa! Donít go for the 7mm or 30í calibres almost anyone owns. BTW, 7 STW is just a necked down 7mm on the 8mm RM as parent caseÖ I donít know on which distances you want to hunt, but out to 1K wonít be a problem with 8mm RM. In my opinion long enough to start with. You won't regret it! Sooner or later there will be a 8mm bullet on the market for the special purpose of LRH. Barrels in 323í are made by almost every good and well-known barrel maker in the US or Europe. From my point of view you should go either for the Krieger or Lothar Walther.