Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Updates regarding the Berger .338 Hybrid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Updates regarding the Berger .338 Hybrid

For those interested in this bullet, please visit the Berger Bulletin and read the latest article there.

I'll be happy to discuss the information in that bulletin here.

-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Updates regarding the Berger .338 Hybrid

Bryan, Thanks for the link and update. As you may have read I have been struggling with the come ups and velocity in both LB3.0 and Exbal. Here is a link to the thread if interested. Help Needed with LB3.0 and .338 Bergers

However , I have seen great accuracy with these and have tested them to 1400 yards from my 338 Lapua.

I did on one accation have one of a 5 shot group at 1400 that was not accounted for. The rest of the group (4) were just over 1/2 moa. The target was big enough that I really scratched my head. I wrote it off to pilot error. Maybe it was bullet deformation??

Last question, I have several hundred on hand. Would you feel that the improved design and mods you will make to these will change the tradgectory? If so I would rather wait to further development.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff
Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jeff,

I think that working with the revised BC's will produce trajectory predictions much closer to what you've seen than the previous BC.

Regarding your one missing shot, I don't think that was caused by the deformation I'm talking about. I say that because even in cases where the bullets are being deformed on every shot, the groups typically only open up to 2 MOA max. If you're shooting great groups and have one shot 'slump', I doubt it would throw it very far out of the group.

With the very good groups you're shooting, I would be inclined to believe that your combination of barrel, powder, load, etc is not producing pressures that are in excess of the bullet's structural limits.

Please continue to report your findings and let me know if the new BC's line up with your observed drop any better.

Take care,
-Bryan

Old 06-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Bronze Member

i spose the slump factor does not show up until extended range? i will be testing at 1000 with some this weekend, 338 lap imp, mv 3037. i will plug in the revised b.c., and see how it groups, and report back. thanks for keeping us in the know, most companies would'nt be this honest.
tom
Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

nothing to say. Just learning. Wanted to subscribe to this thread and don't know of another way. Sorry!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Thanks for your support Tom.

If the bullets do 'slump', which there's a good chance they will from a Lapua Improved, you'll see the evidence in group size as close as 100 yards. The BC will drop to about .75, and will apply from the muzzle on out.

If you've been able to shoot small (sub MOA) groups at 100 yards, then you're probably not deforming the bullets, and they'll also group well at all ranges and fly with the known BC of .818.

Take care,
-Bryan

Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 AM
PUBLISHER

Roy
Quote:
Wanted to subscribe to this thread
At the top of the thread see the drop down menu titled THREAD TOOLS, choose SUBSCRIBE.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors