Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Update on Lawton receiver quality issues....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Update on Lawton receiver quality issues....

To all,

I just got off the phone with Barney Lawton and had a good long talk with him about some of the quality issues I had been having with his receivers, mainly the M7000 receiver.

My main concern was the squareness of the receivers direct from the factory. Many of which were not up to my spec to build on.

Barney explained to me that he was first off, very sorry for the problems and wanted to make things right and then explained to me what was causing the problem. It seems that Barney had been getting his bolt bodies from an out of house supplier who told him that if he put them in a square receiver, the complete squareness of the receiver would be very good.

After some of these problems started to show up, Barney looked into it and did realize there was a problem with the bolts and called his supplier who quickly told him that these bolts were not match quality bolts............

Barneys comment in return was "why the hell not!!!" It would have been my reply as well after he was sold the goods about the quality of the receivers.

As such, Barney has started making his own bolts in house and he says this squareness issue has been eliminated. He reports that in most cases, he can not see any real variation across the bolt face with the depth mic.

Being in the business myself if bringing new products to the market, I fully understand that there can be issues when you rely on the experience and products of another source, espeically when your looking to get extreme quality or doing something never done before.

I can not hold Barney at fault for this and he fully apologized for the lack of quality of those receivers using the old bolts and also admitted that he should have caught it sooner.

Again, I can not fault him in any way, been there done that. As long as Barney is correcting the problem I see no reason to be leary of the Lawton receivers and it sounds like he has found and corrected the problem.

I like Barney, he is a great guy, a hell of a guy to talk to when we can actually hook up on the phone as we are both very busy. Just to tell you what kind of guy he is, he offered to fully compensate me for any machining I had to do to true up his receivers. That is certainly not needed in any way but the offer tells alot about the man.

He was truely sorry for the quality issues and is working hard to correct them and I believe he has or will before any more receivers go out the door.

He thanked me for bring my issues to his attention. I can relate to this as well. Many time customers will be hesitant to be honest with porblems that they may be having with products because they do not want to be trouble or a bother or disrespect the person making the products.

In most cases, we as producers rely very heavily on the honesty of our customers and as such actually encourage our customers to tell us everything they can about using out products, good and espeically bad.

I will admit I was at first hesitant to tell Barney about the problems mainly because I felt it was a one time deal but now I am glad others and I brought this to his attention.

Now, every single receiver that heads out of the Lawton shop is personally inspected by Barney. That takes more time but its well worth it in the end.

So for now I feel very confident that Barney has looked into and corrected the squareness issues with his receivers. I look forward to getting my next order and seeing the quality improvement.

We also talked about several new products they are working on which will be very intersting here in the near future.

Just wanted to give you an update on the Lawton receivers.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Update on Lawton receiver quality issues....

It's always good to know you're dealing with stand up people.

Any of the Borden's show up yet? How are they in comparison?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Hate to say it but we have a 7500 on order and he said in January that it would be 4-5weeks out. It is now middle of April and still no reciever. Called and he said that it would be out within 5-6weeks. who nows. Almost starting to wish I had went with another reciever. I hope its good when it gets here. who knows when that will be though. Just my expierence so far though.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:20 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
Hate to say it but we have a 7500 on order and he said in January that it would be 4-5weeks out. It is now middle of April and still no reciever. Called and he said that it would be out within 5-6weeks. who nows. Almost starting to wish I had went with another reciever. I hope its good when it gets here. who knows when that will be though. Just my expierence so far though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the same boat you'd be in w/most other action mfgs as well. Just hang in there and be patient and the wait will be worth it!!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

I talked to Barney a couple days ago and he gave me the same information that Kirby just posted.
Also there was a problem with receiving the wrong extractors which is probably the cause for the delay in shipping. I just received the action I ordered in January today, but it was a kit and not a finished action. I am confident you will be receiving yours soon.

James
Old 04-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Magman,

I have several Bordens in shop right now and all are VERY square. Every bit as consistant as a Nesika Bay receiver.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Screech,

I think that is right in the middle of the time frame when all these problems started happening and Barney had to tool up to make his own bolts. I would guess that is the problem with the delay, that and I think they just got swamped with orders all at once!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com