Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

umm match 308 cal bullet into 30-30 case ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Banned

umm match 308 cal bullet into 30-30 case ????

Has anyone tried match 30 cal bullet into a 30-30 case.. I wonder how it would shoot accurately.. Just for target practice.. I own a few marlin lever gun and I notice there barrels are freaking accurate with that mirco groove.. I am thinking of taking out some bullets out of a bunch of match 308 and trying them.. Any input ??
Old 03-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: umm match 308 cal bullet into 30-30 case ????

I wouldn't shoot those like that in a lever-action.....Just a single-shot or bolt-action. There's a reason why guns with feeding tubes don't use pointy bullets that sit center or the firing pin inline with the one before it....

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Banned

Am aware but I would be single shooting
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

The marlin has a 1:10 twist rate so stabilizing the bullet should be no problem. How it will feed, I don't know.

If you have a "senior moment" and somehow slip in a second one, you might have a lot of difficulty typing in the future... You know what they say, play s...... games, win s..... prizes.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

I do that all the time. I've loaded from 110gr to 180gr in every type imaginable. I like the Hornady 150gr FMJs the best, they're inexpensive.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Bronze Member

I have loaded up some before, usually just put one in the chamber and one in the magazine. I would just keep it to a single shot. Or at least the only one in the mag.

Theres always leverevolution bullets too.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .308 30 CAL :: 30 Cal .308 160 gr FTX (30-30 Win)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

Freedom2live,

You're missing the reverse point here; most 30-30 bullets are every bit as accurate as Match bullets, at least those that I've shot. Fired from a machine rest in a benchrest quality barrel, most of these FN projectiles will shoot every bit as well, and in some cases better, than a Match type HPBT.

While the HPBT Match bullets have a considerably higher BC, and would be advantageous at longer ranges, they have absolutely no edge in inherent accuracy at the typical lever action ranges involved here. Ballistic Coefficient and accuracy are separate, and distinctly different issues.

The safety issues already pointed out are a worthwhile consideration, too, and nothing to take too casually. Many years ago, one of Hornady's techs (Ed Heers) lost a hand when a bullet design they were working on created a tubular magazine detonation in their lab.