Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Ultralight Build - Need Stock Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Silver Member

Ultralight Build - Need Stock Advice

So I have been thinking of a .308 ultralight rifle build. Here is what I have so far:
By my math it should finish of at 5.5 lbs for the bare rifle and 6.5 lbs, scoped and ready to hunt.
  • Defiance sheep hunter action, deep flutes
  • Blind magazine
  • #3 Broughton 5c 1-10 twist, 20” finish, 8 Flutes
  • Jewell trigger at 2lbs
  • Talley LW Ring/Base
  • Swarovski Z3 3-10x42, ML Reticle
What I can't decide is the stock... McMillan Hunter’s Edge or Manners EH-4; both with a 14.5” lop with 1” pad

The Manners looks like it would come out a couple ounces heavier, they will both accommodate my giant frame. Any opinions or experiences? Mostly on the two stocks but I am open to ideas on the build as well.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Ultralight Build - Need Stock Advice

I have not worked with the Manners EH-4 yet, but have stocked rifles with the McMillan Edge, and the High Tech Specialties stocks. I would not recommend the High Tech stock. The last one I did for a member here the inlet was not straight to the profile and the bottom metal inlet was an abortion to put it kindly. The bedding project required a considerable amount of time and effort. I would rather have had an un-inletted stock...
Now the McMillan Edge stocks are a different story. Good inletting, and reasonably straight considering you are working with a stock that was popped out of a mold and not cut with the precision of a CNC milling center.

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Silver Member

I have not used either stocks. There is a current thread [ this month] on light weight stocks. Try the advanced search option and try light weight stocks. There is a list of different ones and some real life experience with some of them. Good luck. Bruce
Old 05-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Silver Member

McMillan Edge is my vote.
Make sure you get your barrel contour right or your gunsmith will be angry with you. Really angry!
So my errr...buddy told me!