Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Which Ultra Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Sponsor

Re: Which Ultra Mag?

I too fall into the RUM fan club the stainless Sendero in 300 RUM weighs only a little more than the standard BDL. The 300 RUM has 250-300 fps over the 300 Win with similar bullet weights. That is a fair advantage, but I believe that the big advantage is available to the reloader in terms of using larger bullets such as the 200 gr accubond for the long range shooting you will find out west. This round/gun/load will work anywhere in North American for anything. It will survive costal AK hunting, shoot long maybe even extreame ranges and be a fairly pleasant rifle to shoot.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Gold Member

As we get older weight does come into play on a above timberline elk hunt. I like to keep my rifles under 8.5lbs most of the areas I hunt here in Colorado are walk-in or horseback only so no vehicles mainly locals that hunt and to be trueful I never saw anyone pack a Sendro and I spent pretty close to 3wks hunting. We get back in 3/5miles. If your hunting close to a vehicle or horseback heavier rifle wouldn't be too bad so to me I think till you get into what type of hunting you may change the rifle you first settle on so I'd look at something with a good resale value or a platform for a custom rifle. Any of the 30cal mags would take care of your hunting needs. I haven't use a 30 cal on antelope.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Gold Member

I have .300 ultra and .338/300 (300 ultra case necked to .338).They both shoot great, both have brakes but the .338 chambering is the best long range performer while the bullet selection is a little more restrictive than the 300 there are still enough choice to kill anything in this
part of the world.I envy you being able to live out west, plenty of long range opportunities there.Good luck with what ever you choose, there are plenty of options and opinions pick something you can carry and shoot well!
Old 12-25-2004, 04:42 AM

i own lots of rifles and if i was to pick one rifle to do it all it would be my 338 ultra. with a sporter weight barrel it will shoot 215 sierra spbt's inside 1/2"at 100 meters. i reload and didn't have to play much to get these groups and really dig the flat trajectory with heavier bullets. i took it to africa; both the kudu and gemsbok dropped like they had been struck by lightning as did the smaller antelope i took. pound for pound i think the kudu/gemsbok are as tough if not tougher than elk. i have a muzzle brake on mine and it tames the recoil right down and is pretty much a pussycat on the butt end of it.

just my thoughts...by the way i live in idaho and have shot stuff a looooong way away.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

I am a fan of the ultra mags also and own a 7mm RUM which I enjoy very much! It is the sendero version which like someone else said helps cut down on the recoil. I have not tried or know anyone who has a 300 ultra mag but have heard good things about them. The main difference would be a little less recoil with the 7mm version but better bullet selection as far as heavier bullets are concerned for the 30 cal version. The case size and capacity is the same the only difference is caliber. The savage is a nice gun in any offering and very acurate despite it's small price tag. There are a few more aftermarket parts available for the Remington if you ever decided to get fancy with triggers and firing pins. If your planning on long range let me suggest the first mod you make be a good trigger as some of the factory remington and other companys triggers tend to get unsafe at lower levels but most will tune to 2 and 1/2 pounds and remain safe. Hope all that helps! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

I am curious where you found the sendero 338. I would like to have one but cannot find one.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Bronze Member

This sounds like it may be the gun you're looking for. A new product by Remington in many Ultra calibers. http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700xcr.htm

Pat S.