Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Which Ultra Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2004, 04:55 PM

Which Ultra Mag?

I am about to move out West and decided this would be a good excuse for a new rifle. Right now I hunt with a Winchester Mod 70 .30-06. A .300 Win Mag or .338 Win Mag is what I was originally looking at but after looking have decided on one of the Ultra Mags. I am leaning toward a .300 RUM as the ballistics look impressive. The place I will probably buy it only has a Savage 110 in stock for that caliber. They also have a Rem 700 BDL in 7mm RUM and a Sendero stainless fluted in .338 RUM. Of course they can order probably whatever I want. What advantage will one give me over the other? As far as what I want it for, well I don't really know, I have never hunted out west. I guess I want something that I can make long shots at mule deer or antelope, but be able to hunt elk, moose, or sheep. My -06 will probably do all of this but please keep in mind this is a want, not a need. Also one day in the future I do want to take a trip to Alaska. As far as rifles, should I get a sporter contour like the 700 BDL and Savage 110 or the heavy barrel like the Sendero? I don't think the extra weight of the heavy contour would bother me too much. The salesman showed me the Savage 116 FSAK in the catalog. It looked pretty attractive with the muzzle break. Does anyone have any opinion on this particular rifle? How about the stock? Is it better quality than the cheap Savages at WalMart? I know this is vague but I have spent the bulk of my life hunting the S.E. and most of the deer I have killed have been under 50-75 yards. By the way, I do reload if that makes a difference. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Which Ultra Mag?

Personally I would still strongly recommend looking at a .300 win. mag. or .338 win. mag.

If you are primarily looking for a LR deer, antelope, sheep cartridge, the .300 win mag. in a model 70 is the answer. It will also work perfectly for elk and moose.

For browns or grizzlies, and all of the above species I would look at a model 70, in .338 win. mag. choosing lighter bullets of 210-225 for smaller species and 250-275 for browns or grizzlies.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Bronze Member

Yep,

I would go with a 300 win mag too. There is a point of diminshing returns when it comes to efficiency. IE, How much more recoil for how much more velocity. The 300 win will cleanly take anything you are likely to hunt without excessive recoil (which I know is highly subjective). I enjoy shooting my partners 338 Lapua, but for hunting purposes the 300 win does all I need it to do on big game and in the long range game. I have yet to find an elk that could tell the difference between a 300 Win or a 300 UM.

Besides, if you ever start to feel undergunned with a 300 win mag you then have an excuse to build a lapua.

Just my .02
Old 12-19-2004, 02:31 AM
Gold Member

I'll throw in my 2 cents for the 300 WSM. It can do anything the 300 Win Mag can do with a shorter action and a little less weight. The slightly stiffer action and better cartridge design has shown to be an excellent long range cartridge. You can choice bullets in different weights for whatever species you want to hunt. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2004, 03:20 AM
Gold Member

Since you reload, get the .300 RUM. I did!!
I "had" a Sendero S/F. Wish I wouldn't have traded it.

If a guy DOESN'T reload, the .300 Win mag is a great choice. More factory ammo options.
The .300 Winnie is a great choice anyway. But, the non belted RUM case is really a dream to reload for..sakofan..YMMV [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2004, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member

300 Ultra Mag, Remington Sendero. 338 Ultra too, just a bit more spendy to reload for. Compare ballistics, but I'm pretty solidly in the Ultra Mag and larger fan club. I even feel myself gravitating toward a 7mm Ultra in a featherweight mountain rifle! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Bronze Member

here is MY 2 cents worth. I currently shoot the Sendero in 300 RUM. I love it. before buying it I considered it in 338 ultra mag. I just found that I had way more bullet selection with the .308 bullet. and for reloading, bullets are a little cheaper. would I get the 7mm or 338 version. of course, but I do alot of target shooting and bullet selection was what I liked.

as for the savage, FSAk. I handled a used one about a year ago at a local gunshop. it was nice enough that I almost bought it. the stock was ok. felt like plastic. but I found it comfortable. what I did not like was the 24" barrel. the muzzle brake is different. you can spin it to close it. I wasn't too impressed with that option, I don't know enough about it and how it works.

I had another sendero before (7mm rem mag) loved that one to. I find the sendero very comfortable to shoot. I lug mine everywhere. some people wine about a couple of extra rifle weight. never bothered me. and it helps with steadying the rifle for a good shot. a light rifle just pounds too much, too sharp of a recoil. I shot a rifle once in 270 win with a synthetic stock, was pretty light. I liked the feel of the recoil of my sendero better.