Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

ultimate ogive for long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 PM

ultimate ogive for long range

What do you gents think the best ogive on a bullet would be? What real world bennefit would a secant have over a 10-s? And for those that are going to ask for my purpose I would say, 1000-2000yd paper and varmints.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: ultimate ogive for long range

Im no expert but a sharper ogive usually means you need a longer OAL, which also means you need a heavier bullet to have suffucient bearing surface in the case neck for allignment and tension. Also LR bullets are not supposed to be as accurate at close range. Then you have to be able to stabilize the bullet, alot of guys are understabilizing bullets with to slow of a twist barrel because they seem to shoot ok at 100 yards on a warm day in a long barrel. Ive heard sharper olgives at times wobble more. Id say start with about 1" more twist than you need and then test for accuracy as usual.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: ultimate ogive for long range

[ QUOTE ]
What do you gents think the best ogive on a bullet would be? What real world bennefit would a secant have over a 10-s? And for those that are going to ask for my purpose I would say, 1000-2000yd paper and varmints.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Secant ogives has a slight (but measurable) advantage.

For a given weight, they they engage the rifling faster, so you don't have to seat the bullet out as far - an advantage with today's longer throated rifles... also, for a given weight, they have more bearing surface which gives better alignment in the bore - they are good!

LRH member #23