Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ultimate Long Range Coyote Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ultimate Long Range Coyote Rifle

6-284 w/a 105 amax low recoil -laser flat.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

I have had good success with the 264 STW since way before it was called an STW. I push the 140 Berger with a .640 BC at 3435 fps with a 28" barrel. I have been working with the 264-300 WSM lately and am very impressed with it. It is incredible accurate and pushes the same bullet near 3200 fps with much less recoil and noise. Also my 240 Gibbs is just a flat out speed burner/shooter with the 105 matchkings. I shoot 1/2" 300 yard groups with it. I can get the loads for you but I think I push the 105 at over 3600 fps. It is all you can get out of a 30-06 case necked to 6mm. I shoot the 75 grain ballistic tips at varmints at over 4000 fps.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motivationteam View Post
I am in the process of looking to build a super long range coyote rifle. I hunt competativley and have a custom call making business so I would like to win a major hunting tournement. I get shots at a thousand yards plus and want to maximize my ability to make hits.

I am looking for the ultimate in flat shooting wind bucking rifle/bullet cobination. I am not in the hide preservation business so I it does not have to be fur friendly.

Any thoughts? I don't even mind shooting a larger caliber if that is what is necassary. My goal is to have the flattest shooting rifle around. However I would like to keep it to 30 cal and under.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE:

300-338 LAPUA MAGNUM.

125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at 4375fps muzzle velocity is a sight to behold.

Tylenol not included.

PM me for details.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesikaChad View Post
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE:

300-338 LAPUA MAGNUM.

125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at 4375fps muzzle velocity is a sight to behold.

Tylenol not included.

PM me for details.

Jumpin Freeholies!!!!!!!!!! That is insane! Have you shot anything with it yet and if so did it atomize into thin air?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

What kind of rifling do you have and twist to shoot the ballistic tips that fast without making powder puffs out of them. At that velocity out of my 30-378 they blew up in puffs of smoke. My 240 gibbs shoots the varmint ballistic tips at 4300 without blowing them up and it is a predators nightmare. The 240 gibbs is much easier and cheeper to shoot than the big boomers so that is why we use those. I just can't justify the expense of that many rounds through a 338 lapua case. Plus that much powder down that small a hole eats barrels reaslly fast. From my experience with all the big thirties I have done you will not shoot many shots at that velocity before rebarreling. That is the reason I sold all my big thirties except the 300 ultramags.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I know I am just going to open up a huge can of worms here but I have to do it. A moderate velocity, high BC bullet will outperform the hyper velocity bullet every time at long range.

I am not concerned with bullet drop, that is easy to figure and consistant nearly everywhere on the planet, at least its easily predicted everywhere.

The problem is wind drift and this is the area where the lightweight, hyper velocity bullets fall on their face outside 600 yards or so.

I agree, if your going to be shooting out to 500-700 yards, this type of rifle may be one of the best choices, for ranges past 700 yards and for shooting out to 1000 yards, it simply is not if your in an area that has windy conditions.

One simple comparision for example, the 300-338 Lapua with 125 gr BT launched at 4375 fps and a 300 AX loaded with a 240 gr SMK at 3200 fps.

At 1000 yards, the 125 gr BT has a drift of nearly 62". The big relatively slow 240 gr SMK will have only 39" of drift. Yes, it drops much more but again, bullet drop is easy to comp for, wind drift is much harder to predict and adjust for accurately, especially when dealing with a relatively small target at long ranges.

Again, for moderate ranges, a hyper velocity 125 gr BT will be amazing no question about that. But at ranges past 700 yards in any wind at all, it will be harder to hit small targets then if you were using a higher BC bullet at lower velocity.

Not looking to start a fight in any way, just offering the other side of the coin and in my opinion, for long range consistant hitting of small targets, its the better side of the coin all around.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-26-2009, 11:29 PM

Kirby- I really appreciate your perspective. It makes a ton of sense. That truley is probably the most important factor. Thank you for the insight I really like the way you think!