Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Ultimate Long Range Coyote Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ultimate Long Range Coyote Rifle

i would say concentrate your efforts out to 700. get a cartridge that will work well out to 700 and it will also work at 1k. i believe it's twice as hard to make good hits at 1k than it is at 700. i'm not sure i've ever seen one stand still long enough for a bullet to get there at 1k.

i would also suggest a scope with dots or hairs as i think it would work a lot better than cranking turrets. i'm sure you've never got ready to pop one at 500 and all of a sudden a dog is coming in at a buck fifty.

i just think you'll put more dogs on the ground with a rifle that's deadly accurate out to 700 then one that's got the best trajectory potential past 1k. isn't Phorwath building a 6RUM?
Old 01-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Bronze Member

Try a 6.5 7mm dakota, you will be able to shoot higher bc bullets at less recoil and higher velocity, 3500 fps 120 barnes just killed a coyote at 873 yards, knocked down first shot, and put him away on the second. Also the round is much more accurate than the belted magnums and less finiky. I have reloaded some cases 20 times and primer pockets are still good and not one split case.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:28 AM

For some reason the 264 win mag keeps calling my name anyone think this would be a winner?

As for getting shots at dogs. I do alot of howling in some pretty pressured area's and it is nothing to get a stand of that can last up to half an hour. I am thinking I would like something that does not have to much kick because I will use the rifle as my main calling rifle. My partners when I hunt are usually designated with a shotgun and close range rifle and I am there for the long work. Last weekend I had three at about fifteen hundred yards just challenging me up and down. All I hade was my swift. I put a sneak on them and got to about 1k and everytime I would move in he would back up and keep about 1k between us. I am sure it is going to be rare to hit on way out there but yippidy dooo daaa! What fun when you do.

Again what about the 264? Plus there is one on sale nearby. Do you think it is accurate enough? Is there something better or more accurate that is not going to knock my shoulder orr. By the way I am also going to put a can on it, if you have any thoughts on that.

Last edited by motivationteam; 01-25-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
The hot 7mm are the way to go...

7mm Allen Mag
7mm Rem Ultra Mag
7mm Win Mag

+1 for the 7 mm's and I would try the 168gr SMK , If you are not pelt
hunting.

I had good results with the 168 SMK while shooting the 1000 yrd matches in
a 7mm Rem Mag but I would recomend the allen mag or the ultra mag.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

There are any number of rounds that will do what you need. Some do it with speed, some do it with high BC bullets, some with both. A list of rounds that will do what you need would include the below and many many more:

6.5 WSM
264 WM
6.5 STW
7mm Rem Mag
7mm Dakota
7mm STW
7mm RUM
7mm AM
300 WSM
300 Win Mag
300 RUM

Now many of these are far more power then is needed for yotes at any range but again, we are only looking to put a bullet on a certain mark. It comes down to personal preference. Generally, as bore diameter increases, barrel life will increase which may be a consideration for you, maybe not. A new barrel and fitting will range from $400 to $800 depending on what barrel you use. This may not be a huge deal in this situation but it is $400-$800 and today that is always some type of consideration.

I generally would say do not look only toward velocity, it is not the end all.

Again, personally, something like the 6.5mm WSM or something like my 6.5 AX which is based on the 300 Dakota would also be a good choice if you did not mind fireforming cases.

A 142 gr SMK or 140 gr VLD at 3300 fps would be very hard to beat.

The smaller calibers will certainly work but in my experience, yotes are tough critters for their weight. They are actually very small compared to what they appear to be with their fir on them. If you hit a yote on the outer 1/4 of its profile, you will likely lose that dog. Basically, you have to put the bullet in the middle 50% of the dogs mass or you will likely hit only hair.

As such, I would go back to a higher BC bullet at good velocity. If a 7mm suits you, that would be most impressive but a smaller 6.5mm would likely do almost as well and likely offer a bit more velocity for flatter shooting out to 1/4 mile or a bit farther.

I would also strongly agree with Dave on his recommendation that you use a ballistic reticle for this type of hunting. Yotes move alot, there simply is not enough time in most cases to range a dog, dial up for the shot and take the shot. If you have a ballistic reticle set up, you simply range and shoot. Or if you work with a partner, they range, you shoot, very fast for this type of hunting.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

I have seen very little mentioned on the 6mm. My choice for LR 'yotes would be the 6m AI pushing 75-105 pills.

Some info at: w ww.6mmbr.com/gunweek042.html

Last edited by Kalashnikov; 01-25-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

Instead of the 264 I would look at the 6.5 wsm since there is better brass options. 6.5 x 284 would be a good choice as well and easier to load for. Personally I can't shoot from sticks much farther than 400 or 500 yards and if I was to take a shot at a yote past that I would want an AR and basically quickly send 2 or 3 projectiles down range at him to increase my chances of connecting. It's been my experience that after the first shot they are out of there. With a can though you might be able to get away with a little more. If you are not shooting prone I would take a look at something like the rifle claw that allows you to mount your gun on a tripod. From what I understand this reduces recoil quite a bit and you could probably spot your own hits rather easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motivationteam View Post
For some reason the 264 win mag keeps calling my name anyone think this would be a winner?

As for getting shots at dogs. I do alot of howling in some pretty pressured area's and it is nothing to get a stand of that can last up to half an hour. I am thinking I would like something that does not have to much kick because I will use the rifle as my main calling rifle. My partners when I hunt are usually designated with a shotgun and close range rifle and I am there for the long work. Last weekend I had three at about fifteen hundred yards just challenging me up and down. All I hade was my swift. I put a sneak on them and got to about 1k and everytime I would move in he would back up and keep about 1k between us. I am sure it is going to be rare to hit on way out there but yippidy dooo daaa! What fun when you do.

Again what about the 264? Plus there is one on sale nearby. Do you think it is accurate enough? Is there something better or more accurate that is not going to knock my shoulder orr. By the way I am also going to put a can on it, if you have any thoughts on that.

Last edited by Cruizin; 01-25-2009 at 02:06 PM.