Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

The Ultimate Light Weight Sheep Hunting Rifle - What Is It?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Gold Member

Re: The Ultimate Light Weight Sheep Hunting Rifle - What Is It?

After having both barrel types I will never buy cm again, period. My stainless barrels rust enough as it is but the cm barrels are like an old shipwreck in the rain. As for the scope: Nf isn't the everything scope and I hate to say this but I would bet that at least 80 percent of us will never use it for it's intended use: durability in the military. The only thing I like my nf for is for bench shooting or for somewhere I don't have to walk to far. For backpack hunting or sheep hunting a NF is a joke, way to heavy. I would go with a vx3 in a 40mm or a scope of that nature.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:37 PM

Here are the specs of my soon to be sheep gun- Already have the action but waiting on the barrel and stock;
  • Stiller Predator Left hand repeater - It will be a 7mmWSM
  • PTG Aluminum bottom
  • Wyatt box
  • Jewell HVR @ 2 lbs
  • Pac Nor ultralight contour barrel (probably finished @24")
  • McMillan Hunters Edge stock
  • Talley lightweights
  • Probably going with a 4.5x14x40mm VXIII with an elevation turret. Only a couple more ounces than a 2.5x8x36. The turret and 14x will be nice if a longer poke happens.
I will either shoot the 140 Berger or the 140TTSX, whichever I get to shoot better. Not sure how much it will weigh, but should be sub 6.5ish pounds with the scope.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 PM

Jeez you guys this post has put sheep hunting in my head this evening. I can't wait until next season. I bowhunt them alot too, but also with the rifle. We are pretty blessed up here as we can hunt them on a general tag. The zones I hunt have a bow only zone and a couple of rifle zones butting up to them.
If I can figure on how to post pictures on here I will, if you guys have any sheep hunting pictures post'em up! Should be some great inspiration to a lightweight sheep rifle discussion.

AW.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Hey, I'm with you. I use a 3-18X IOR that's just about as heavy as your NF on my sheep hunting rifle now, but I fully intend to shoot out to 1000 yds if the conditions allow it. [/I]!

Phorwath,

Please donít take this as a criticism as itís not meant to beÖmaybe a reality check, but not criticism.

I view a sheep hunt as a once in a lifetime hunt though some may be more fortunate. I've seen many sheep on my moose hunts in Alaska. Yup Iíve put them in my crosshairs and wished I had a tag for one. Shooting PDís, groundhogs and other varmints at a grand or more is common place with us. First round hits at a grand are extremely rareÖreally there few and far between. I could even see touching the trigger on a deer at that distance though Iíve never attempted it.

However on a once in a lifetime hunt I couldnít even fathom touching the trigger on a sheep at that distance. Iím not even sure a guide would let someone even try no matter how hard they argued their point. I donít view sheep hunting as an extreme long range hunt, nor do I think it should be. Realistically 400 to maybe 500 yards would be realistic extent of a long range attempt on a sheep IMHO.

I could be wrong as I donít live in those areas, however I have hunted in them a bunch and I just donít see a grand shot on a sheep, goat, moose or even a bear.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
Nf isn't the everything scope and I hate to say this but I would bet that at least 80 percent of us will never use it for it's intended use: durability in the military. The only thing I like my nf for is for bench shooting or for somewhere I don't have to walk to far. For backpack hunting or sheep hunting a NF is a joke, way to heavy. I would go with a vx3 in a 40mm or a scope of that nature.
A Nightforce scope on a sheep rig is NO joke. Sheep country is rough and prone to cause major bumps and bruises to a scope. I have been on back country sheep hunts where anything lesser than my NF and badger rings would have made my hunt have a much different outcome. I will gladly carry the extra weight.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff In TX View Post
Phorwath,

Please don’t take this as a criticism as it’s not meant to be…maybe a reality check, but not criticism.

I view a sheep hunt as a once in a lifetime hunt though some may be more fortunate. I've seen many sheep on my moose hunts in Alaska. Yup I’ve put them in my crosshairs and wished I had a tag for one. Shooting PD’s, groundhogs and other varmints at a grand or more is common place with us. First round hits at a grand are extremely rare…really there few and far between. I could even see touching the trigger on a deer at that distance though I’ve never attempted it.

However on a once in a lifetime hunt I couldn’t even fathom touching the trigger on a sheep at that distance. I’m not even sure a guide would let someone even try no matter how hard they argued their point. I don’t view sheep hunting as an extreme long range hunt, nor do I think it should be. Realistically 400 to maybe 500 yards would be realistic extent of a long range attempt on a sheep IMHO.

I could be wrong as I don’t live in those areas, however I have hunted in them a bunch and I just don’t see a grand shot on a sheep, goat, moose or even a bear.
Jeff,

I'm not overly bothered by your post. I will say that your statement "I don't view sheep hunting as an extreme long range hunt, nor do I think it should be." is one probably best kept to yourself rather than directed towards me or other hunters. It invites an ethics argument which will serve no beneficial purpose.

Your reality and circumstances are obviously different than mine and they will undoubtedly affect the thoughts, opinions, preferences, positions, and even that prohibited topic -ethics- that a person forms. I've hunted dall sheep every year for the past 15 years, and perhaps on an every-other-year basis the prior 15 years. It's not a once in a lifetime hunt for me. It's my annual "deer" hunt. Guides don't participate in my hunts. I'm not required to use one, and I personally have no desire to. I hunt sheep like others in deer-rich country might hunt deer except my limit is one ram per year. My sheep hunts occur entirely above tree-line. I'm not certain where you've seen sheep in Alaska, but they can be spotted and harvested at very long range. A long range shot will allow some rams to be harvested that simply can't be closely approached because they've selected a living room that affords them a grand visual panorama which serves them well for spotting any approaching predators or hunters. Dall rams are a relatively frail animal and are certainly easier to kill and recover than deer or mountain goats. 500 yds is a chump shot unless the wind is pretty darn ugly.

I get the feeling that sheep are profoundly honored and placed up on an alter compared to other big game animals from your perspective. I won't argue about that with you or others. I can understand how that can happen if your access to the animals is restricted by regulation, distance, expense, or other life circumstances. I've got reasonably good access to sheep, bears, goats, moose, caribou, bears, and more bears. And sheep is the best eating of those options.

Perhaps the only thing we see eye to eye on is reliably hitting ground squirrels or similar-sized animals at 1000 yds is more difficult than placing a killing hit on sheep-sized animals at that range. But hunting the ground squirrel has no relevance to hunting sheep, at least from my arm chair.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meichele View Post
A Nightforce scope on a sheep rig is NO joke. Sheep country is rough and prone to cause major bumps and bruises to a scope. I have been on back country sheep hunts where anything lesser than my NF and badger rings would have made my hunt have a much different outcome. I will gladly carry the extra weight.
No particular argument from me but the fella that began this thread was asking for the ultimate lightweight sheep hunting rifle. He isn't going to get there by mounting a 2 lb scope on it. I pack around a 27 ounce tactical scope on my sheep hunting rifle, but I certainly wouldn't if I was limiting my shots inside of 5-600 yds. I've never found my 2.5-8 power Leupold scopes lacking out to those yardages.

On the matter of toughness, I've knocked my 35 mm tubed tactical scope with tactical rings and scope rail off zero when I've tumbled on a mountain side. There isn't any scope that's mountain proof.

Anyhow, if the member places light weight at the top of his priorities, he'll have to go without the NF and similar tactical scopes.