Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

The Ultimate Light Weight Sheep Hunting Rifle - What Is It?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: The Ultimate Light Weight Sheep Hunting Rifle - What Is It?

Some good options already mentioned. I think my set up would be pretty good also (if it was shooting sub MOA.) Sako Finnlight 300 WSM. I think this rifle has potential to be a 900 yd plus gun in mountains and higher elevations. Weighs 6 3/8ths lbs, topped with 2 lb NSX 5 1/2x22x50.

Someone mentioned a large 50mm scope would be too top heavy for a light rifle, but I dont have any problem with mine in that regard and any shot over 300 yds will be taken off some sort of rest or bi pod, negating that issue anyway.

Also, if you're only talking out to 500 yds, most rifles out of the box are capable of that these days. No build necessary.

+1 for the the Finnlight.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Gold Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the info so far. I know this isn't a long range topic, but this group is in my opinion the most knowledgable group of firearms enthusiasts I know of out there and I knew that I would get some good feedback from the LRH gang!

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopeshunter View Post
Hey everyone,

Let's talk about building the ultimate sheep hunting rifle. The focus here being to make it as light as possible. This does not have to be a LR rig, let's say a 500 yard rifle. What components would you use to put this rifle together? What calibre / scope / rings & bases / barrel / stock would you use??

Look forward to the discussion.

Thanks
OK so I don't hunt sheep with it, but I bought it for my Alaskan moose hunts.

Left-handeld Winchester model 70 Featherweight in 300 WSM with a Burris 4.5-16X32mm short mag scope. All told the rifle is just under 8 lbs. This is an old picture; I recently had a Bartlein featherweight contoured barrel installed. It's a lightweight rig and deadly accurate.

I figure a fiberglass stock may knock off a pound or so, but I like the wood.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Bronze Member

Remington Ti in 270 wsm. Talley one piece rings with a swaro 4-12x40 or leupold 3.5-10. Floated, bedded, trigger lightened to 2.5 lbs. Otherwise, an HS precision sporter lightweight with all of the above.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

If weight is a high priority and you'll limit your shots to 500 yds, then you could go with a lower magnification variable power scope (lighter scope) than what some of the guys have recommended here. Some of the scopes ID'd here are great scopes for even longer range shooting, but I think you're seeing some carry-over from guys who equip themselves and specialize to shoot out to 800 yds and farther. If you're limiting yourself to 500 yds, you should be completely sufficient with a 2.5-8X, a 2-7X, or 3-9X. There are some awfully light scopes available in these power ranges compared to 3.5-10X, 4-16X, or higher powered variable scopes. Scope selection is one obvious area for a substantial weight reduction I'm seeing in some of these recommendations. I shot 2.5-8X Leupold VariX and VX III scopes for 25 years and was never lacking high end magnification out to 5-600 yds for big game. I now use 3-18X and 4.5-14X scopes, but I've extended my effective range out to 1000 yds. My 2 cents.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

As for SS bbls vs CM and wood vs synthetic, I just got back from hunting a few hours in a steady drizzle and I am sure glad I have the SS bbl and the synthetic stock or else I would be pulling my barreled action from my stock, drying and wiping them down and reasembling. Couldn't imagine hunting sheep out of a mountain base camp in this type weather for up to week with wood and CM. No offense guys, JMO.

Also, I dont know too many sheep hunters that would take a wood stock up into steep mountain terrain, crossing skree and talus and jumping boulders.

And... NF has just come out with a 2 1/2x10x32 scope that weighs 19 oz. Very cool...
Old 11-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
If weight is a high priority and you'll limit your shots to 500 yds, then you could go with a lower magnification variable power scope (lighter scope) than what some of the guys have recommended here. Some of the scopes ID'd here are great scopes for even longer range shooting, but I think you're seeing some carry-over from guys who equip themselves and specialize to shoot out to 800 yds and farther. If you're limiting yourself to 500 yds, you should be completely sufficient with a 2.5-8X, a 2-7X, or 3-9X. There are some awfully light scopes available in these power ranges compared to 3.5-10X, 4-16X, or higher powered variable scopes. Scope selection is one obvious area for a substantial weight reduction I'm seeing in some of these recommendations. I shot 2.5-8X Leupold VariX and VX III scopes for 25 years and was never lacking high end magnification out to 5-600 yds for big game. I now use 3-18X and 4.5-14X scopes, but I've extended my effective range out to 1000 yds. My 2 cents.
Good point Paul, but if i'm going sheep hunting, the farther I can shoot the better within reasonable gun/scope weight and I'll want a good tough optic for mountains which = NF in my book.

I'll cut the wieght in other places, like my waist line and not take too much from the rifle and scope. And if you're gonna hunt sheep then you need to be in sheep shape. I guess it's a matter of priorities.

And that 2 1/2 x 10 x 32, 19 oz NF sounds pretty sweet for mountains too.

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 11-07-2008 at 09:49 PM.