Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Typical barrel life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 AM

Typical barrel life

Is there a guideline for the "life" of a barrel? I know I am nowhere near that point (only approx. 400 rounds in Model 700 Sendero SF in 7mm Rem Mag).... I am just curious.

Assume a proper break-in and using 50% factory cartridges and 50% reloaded rounds at mid to top range of powder... How many rounds should I get out of a barrel before needing to consider re-barreling? Thanks in advance for comments/feedback.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Typical barrel life

There are a LOT of variables that play into barrel life & many of good threads regarding just that if you care to look for them.

Try this:

Excel Formula Predicts Useful Barrel Life within AccurateShooter.com

t

Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Thanks! Wow, I never thought a barrel would be potentially "spent" with 1,200 - 1,300 rounds...
Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

make sure you get the correct powder heat potential numbers. You can torch any magnum chambering very quickly with rapid shooting. Interesting stuff! Keep the bullet weight up which keeps the powder charge down. Keep the barrel cool & clean. You might be surprised how far your "overbore" magnum will take you.

t

Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRob View Post
Thanks! Wow, I never thought a barrel would be potentially "spent" with 1,200 - 1,300 rounds...
You can probably get more than that if you take care of the barrel and don't overheat it, and let it cool down between groups.

Outlaw is right, if you shoot it rapidly, or let it get hot and keep shooting it, you can smoke a magnum barrel QUICK!

With the magnums it's all in how you take care of them.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 AM

I usually shoot in 3-shot groups. Taking at least 1 minute between shots, then letting barrel cool after 3-5 shots total. It gets warm, but I never let it get too hot to touch. Looking at my shot records, I have just over 120 rounds through the barrel. According to the calculator, barrel has about 1,400 round life. Seems short candidly. But thankfully, when I have my scope dialed in, I only need 3-5 shots per year to verify sight-in and 1 shot for the deer. :-) Based on that, it should last me a long time.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Bronze Member

What should I do to see all powder data? The window is like to small t see everything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
There are a LOT of variables that play into barrel life & many of good threads regarding just that if you care to look for them.

Try this:

Excel Formula Predicts Useful Barrel Life within AccurateShooter.com

t