Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Twist Rates and Velocity?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Twist Rates and Velocity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
No, say a bullet is shot from a 16.5" barrel at 2700 fps. 10 " twist
Or a 26" barrel at 2700 fps 10" twist. Its still going to be doing 1 revolution every 10"
Yes, and longer barrel equals more stabilization b/c of more time touching the rifling. If that's not the case, then why are pistols less accurate than rifles?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
IMO, twist effects velocity by resisting travel down the bore.
It takes more energy to push a bullet in a 10 twist than it would in a 20 twist.
In "general" that creates higher pressure due to more bore resistance which MAY increase velocity.
On the other side, if you are at max pressure then you may have to reduce the load and go the same or slower with a faster twist.

Also IMO, a bullet should be shot at the slowest twist for ALL conditions you will face.

First, bullet RPM slows down at a much slower rate than forward velocity so it effectively becomes more stable the longer it fly's;

Second, no bullets are perfect.
While in the bore a bullet rotates around the centerline of the bore.
When the bullet emerges from the muzzle it rotates around the bullets center of gravity.
This "jump" to the CG is dependent on the difference between the CG and the centerline of the bullet formed in the bore AND velocity.

There is an article on the Lilja website on this:
Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: A Look at Bullet Imbalance and Twist

Also there was something on the web that I can't find right now that experimented with machining an imperfection in a group of bullets to create an imbalance.
Then they indexed and shot the bullets in 90 degree increments and the bullets all grouped to the same 90 degree group as predicted:

edge.
Thank you very much for this example. It has helped solidify what I said earlier.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

I don't think barrel length causes instability, short pistol barrels are harder to aim and hold steady, but if a pistol has a scope and is held in a vice, it will shoot amazingly well. shorter barrels flex less and also have less time for the exploding powder to push the bullet. That is why we use faster burning powder for pistols than rifles and also why longer barrels give more velocity with the same load. The spin rate is applied in the first few inches of the barrel and is probably responsible for at least some of the throat erosion noted in hot loads. The bullet goes from a dead standstill to about 80 percent of muzzle velocity and 100 percent of spin rate in the first three inches of travel. Some of you pistol guys can correct me on that but most of the torque is applied in the first few inches. Wear and tear on the bullet and the barrel happen at this time. If the bullet doesn't begin to spin immediatly, the jacket would be stripped from the bullet by the rifiling. Faster twist barrels will wear faster than slow twist barrels in the throat area. Variable twist barrels are an interesting concept but I don't have any experience with them.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Nope. You better do some research on that. Length of barrel has zero to do with RPM's. It's the velocity.

A bullet coming out of a 22" 10 twist barrel at 3000 fps will spin just as fast as a bullet coming out of a 30" 10 twist barrel at 3000 fps.
I guess I should have read more before I replied. :rolleyes

The only time a longer barrel spins a bullet faster is when it has a Gain Twist
Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

I guess I'm just cheap, as I get sick of "Standard " twist barrels.
To get a useful barrel in the 223 , 22/250 , 220 Swift, and most others, a factory rifle needs to be rebarreled .

A 9" twist 223 with a 24" barrel will push a naked 70 gr TSX 3000 fps. An awesome bullet at a very useful velocity. But that combo produces oval holes in the target and from 3/4"-12" groups/ patterns at 100 yards.
If the bullets are pushed fast enough to stabilize at close range when the bullet slows sufficiently it will become unstable again. Most other calibers are similar or worse tho the 6.5 s should be standardized with a 7.5"

Art Alphin / A-Square did a lot of work with twist rates in the larger calibers and had great results. My last 416 Rem had a 10" twist and that twist, tho 4" faster than standard was in no way a liability. It did cause slightly higher pressure. I had to use slightly slower powder. But still got book velocity.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphil View Post
I don't think barrel length causes instability, short pistol barrels are harder to aim and hold steady, but if a pistol has a scope and is held in a vice, it will shoot amazingly well. shorter barrels flex less and also have less time for the exploding powder to push the bullet. That is why we use faster burning powder for pistols than rifles and also why longer barrels give more velocity with the same load. The spin rate is applied in the first few inches of the barrel and is probably responsible for at least some of the throat erosion noted in hot loads. The bullet goes from a dead standstill to about 80 percent of muzzle velocity and 100 percent of spin rate in the first three inches of travel. Some of you pistol guys can correct me on that but most of the torque is applied in the first few inches. Wear and tear on the bullet and the barrel happen at this time. If the bullet doesn't begin to spin immediatly, the jacket would be stripped from the bullet by the rifiling. Faster twist barrels will wear faster than slow twist barrels in the throat area. Variable twist barrels are an interesting concept but I don't have any experience with them.
Wait wait wait wait wait........But Montana said this is false when I mentioned that earlier in the thread.

Based on what you said, this is exactly why Roy Weatherby used free-bore in his calibers and rifles instead of having them touch right up on the lands....Correct?

For the record, I am in 100% agreement with everything you just wrote. Keep up the great work. I see you know your stuff. It is good to have folks like you on this site. That is what makes this place so great.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Wait wait wait wait wait........But Montana said this is false when I mentioned that earlier in the thread.
No I didn't.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams