Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Twist rate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Silver Member

Twist rate

In the future I want to get my Sendero rebuilt. I'll be going with the 7mm ultra mag for my choice. I would like to primelry set the gun up to shoot the 180 VLD's for long range. What is the preferred twist rate or best twist rate and length of barrel to get the best performance out of this combo....any experienced or susgestions are welcome. The gun I currently have is a 300 ultra mag.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Twist rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachsmann View Post
In the future I want to get my Sendero rebuilt. I'll be going with the 7mm ultra mag for my choice. I would like to primelry set the gun up to shoot the 180 VLD's for long range. What is the preferred twist rate or best twist rate and length of barrel to get the best performance out of this combo....any experienced or susgestions are welcome. The gun I currently have is a 300 ultra mag.
A 1 in 9 is said to be adequate for 180 bullets.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

I'd go with a 1:9 for the Berger 180's.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Silver Member

1:8 for the upcoming 195 Berger.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM

A 1:8 should work. You can calculate the exact twist rate by using formulas from various sources. The best source I have found is from the book, "Sporting Firearms, A Designers Notebook" obtainable from Amazon.com It has a companion CD with several programs, one of which has the most popular twist formulas which allow you to enter the data and the program produces the result for you.
RF