close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

Twist question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Unread 06-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 2,630
Re: Twist question?

it wouldn't surprize me if the 12 was on the hairy edge of stability with the 85-87 bullets.i'll bet a 10 or 11 might shoot them more accurately.an example would be the 58's are shooting half inch.might just be the bullet, but it might just be a stabilization issue
__________________
davesonlinedeals.com
Reply With Quote
  •   #9  
    Unread 06-03-2006, 11:14 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: NC, oceanfront
    Posts: 4,060
    Re: Twist question?

    I wouldn't think that it's twist causing your inaccuracy. Unstable bullets tumble immediately. They won't stay on 8x12 paper @50yds. Maybe your just moving further from an accurate barrel node with heavier bullets and slower velocity?
    Reply With Quote

      #10  
    Unread 06-03-2006, 04:44 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Posts: 2,855
    Re: Twist question?

    Thats not totaly true Mikecr , I have seen 75gr A-max bullets shot out of a 1-10 Encore in 22-250 that would group around 3" at 100yds but 90% of the bullet hole were percect sidways cuts and the other 10% being very elongated holes. I have also see guns shoot bullets into 2" oblong holed groups at 100yds and then shoot the same load into 2" groups with perfect bullet hole at 200yds.

    On another note if you notice that the 87gr bullets is only slightly longer than the 85 but the ogive on the 87 is noticably longer and more streamlined.
    __________________
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    Molon Labe
    Reply With Quote
      #11  
    Unread 06-03-2006, 05:02 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Posts: 1,088
    Re: Twist question?

    IMO, how hollow is the hollow point makes all the difference in the world! A bullet with lead sticking out but the same shape as a hollow point will normally be more stable. Put tungsten in the nose of a bullet and you will need almost no twist at all, it is the fact that the heavier tail section wants to overtake the lighter front half of the bullet.

    edge.
    Reply With Quote
      #12  
    Unread 06-04-2006, 06:49 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Pennsyltucky
    Posts: 2,630
    Re: Twist question?

    it's also a fact that the hollow point is there to bring the center of gravity towards the rear because it makes it shoot more accurate.
    __________________
    davesonlinedeals.com
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Twist question?
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    7mm-08 Twist Question RedRaider General Discussion 1 02-27-2011 09:44 AM
    Question on 1 in 9 twist in .223 Strokerace_dave Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 3 06-19-2009 11:46 AM
    Twist question Ksmirk Gunsmithing 2 07-31-2008 08:34 PM
    25-06 twist question. ol mike Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 7 06-01-2006 09:07 AM
    Twist Question dakor Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 7 09-20-2004 07:13 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC