Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Turret Labels - need help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Turret Labels - need help.

I'm interested in working up a few custom turret labels (like a cheap version of the kenton industries turret). I recall reading here that there are a couple members have developed a means to do this in excel or some other program.

Similarly, I'm wondering if any of the ballistic programs have this capability built in?

Can someone point me to the thread or members that can help me out? I've done some searching and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 AM

Re: Turret Labels - need help.

Anyone?

John 14:15
Old 08-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Bronze Member

I'm working on the same thing, and having just as much trouble turning up any useful info when I search. I'll post back when I come up with something - at the moment the plan is a fine sharpie and some tape, but I've been playing with Excel sheets as well.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Yes - I'm going my own way as well. I think I'm going to try to use a cad program to generate the label. I'll post back if I get a process that works.

I did find that "Brown Dog" and "4ked Horn" were the members who had Word and Excel solutions that they were giving out at one point in time. I have not tried to PM them with a request.

This post may be of interest:

Home-Made PM2 BDC result
Old 08-27-2009, 10:54 PM

I do it the old school way. I have a label printer and take a plain label, wrap it around the turret and mark it. Then I stick the corresponding number with the yardage on the label, then stick the label to the turret. Hey its a little bit like a craft project with the label and scissors. Real simple, nice and tidy and does the job.

I have an archery program that spits out a site tape for an adjustable bow sight, funny that there is not a program out there that prints a turret label?
Old 08-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks! For those of us that keep our range short enough to avoid the use of a PDA and portable weather station, I think a BDC label is the best thing since smokeless powder. It's just as accurate and easy to change as a drop chart, but much faster. And less error-prone.

I'll take some pictures and post them up when I get one worked out, if y'all will do the same.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Bronze Member

If you want a copy of the excel sheet that the guys had on earlier for turrets send me your email address.

I just got ahold of it and remembered others were looking for it.

earl.krom@yahoo.com