Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Turning down a barrel????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

Turning down a barrel????

I have a 270 WSM with a Lilja #5 CM barrel. A local gunsmith put flutes into it before mating it to the action. He said that it would be fine as long as your careful to not generate too much heat while fluting. Well, the rifle shoots under 1/2" groups all day and I get good velocity out of it as well. My need for this rifle as a long range tool has changed since I've had my Edge built. Now I want to turn it into a lightweight pack rifle. My question is, can I have the barrel turned down to a #3 or even a #2?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: Turning down a barrel????

It depends on how deep the flutes are. But I'm guessing that it's possible. It depends on your gunsmith or who you have re-contour the bbl. But there should be plenty of room to do a #2 Lilja contour.

Dan
Old 01-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpalot View Post
I have a 270 WSM with a Lilja #5 CM barrel. A local gunsmith put flutes into it before mating it to the action. He said that it would be fine as long as your careful to not generate too much heat while fluting. Well, the rifle shoots under 1/2" groups all day and I get good velocity out of it as well. My need for this rifle as a long range tool has changed since I've had my Edge built. Now I want to turn it into a lightweight pack rifle. My question is, can I have the barrel turned down to a #3 or even a #2?
Well, depending on who you use, you may spend as much getting it turned down and reblued compared to installing a new bbl. If you are interested in a Stainless #3, I have an extra Lilja in my safe: 3 groove 10 twist. PM me if interested. I have 3 extra .277 bbls in the safe but 2 are already committed to projects.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

With Lilja's barrel manufacturing proccesses, I wouldnt recomend that you turn down the barrel. The ID of the bore will get bigger as the OD gets smaller. There is nothing wrong with the way Lilja makes barrels, just that there not made to be turned after the fact. If you have any questions about this, call Lilja and ask them about it. They can explain it better than I can.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.