Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Tuning Devices?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Tuning Devices?

I see that Butch Lambert at shadetree engineering is going to be making/selling a muzzle device to theoretically place the "anti-node" or dead spot or whatever at the muzzle to diminish verticle disbursion due to velocity variances. Bill Calfee describes it as stopping the muzzle.

I have been reading about this over on benchrest central with some skepticism, but hey when Bill Calfee, Jim Borden & Jackie Schmidt and others beleive in it enough to start cutting up barrels, there just might be something to it.

I am a newbie to precision shooting and sure that there are folks here that fully comprehend the arguments occuring on that site. I think I have a minimal understanding. I dont guess I have to understand how it works as long as it does work.

What do you guys think about these new devices? Do these tuners have a place in the LRH's aresenal?

I am thinking that maybe the muzzle could be "stopped" (as described by Calfee) for a known specific distance, but that it would probably be a detriment to accuracy over a broad range of distances.

I made the body for one last night and will try and make the weights tonight. If I dont lose a finger on the lathe I should be able to test it next weekend. Most everyone testing them are going to be doing the testing at specific distances. I want to know how they effect POI over a broad range of distances.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Lot of work being done on that right now by several people and the issue has not been settled on exactly how they work.

Lynn (from CA) probably has the most experience for 1k shooters and he is working along with some others on redefining the tuner for LR guns.

Should be interesting.

Plus until it is settled on how it does what it does, it probably will not drift over to the LR hunting side.

The accuracy levels are slightly different but it should work for LR.

I have two being built now.

BH
Old 03-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

I think they'll be a hot item over here once a quality system-design becomes available. By system, I mean something atleast matching Browning BOSS.
They'll help in grouping with factory ammo as you would finally have something to adjust for best grouping.
They'll save barrel life in load devolopement for most of us.

I think tuning is still a complete mystery though. It will be a long time before anyone will understand exactly where to set a tuner prior to single cold bore shots under different conditions. Just as it will be a long time before anyone can define an accurate barrel -prior to finishing and testing it.
I'm very glad that experimenters(machinists) are finally working on it.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Here's a link some test info....
Finite Element Analysis -- Dynamic Analysis of a Light Rifle with/without a tuner.

This guy also has studied fluted vs non-fluted barrel studies:
FEA Barrel Pressure Analysis on a 6PPC Rifle Barrel

In fact, if you look at the links on the left he has lots of interested information about guns, accuracy, and hunting. All which make for good reading.

I was just about to start a tread on this and saw your post... perfect opportunity.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Gold Member

I went to the Cactus Classic last weekend, there were several shooters that had a tuner, the winner and several places behind him did not have a tuner.
A barrel tuner does show promise but is far from being an exact science. From what I saw it is still better to TUNE a load to a barrel than to tune a barrel to a load.
UB
Old 03-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

That has always been my thoughts UncleB...but what if they built a tuner that would give you a larger accuracy window for your load. I could have won a lot of stuff if I could have stayed on top of my load....but I lack the experiance. If my gun had a larger more forgiving load window as far as temp and humidity it would help my aggs.
What they are claiming is a muzzle device that is only moved once to tune the barrel. After that you tune your load as usual, but not nearly as much. At least that is my understanding.
I got real frustrated at the SE regionals last year. My guns were really in tune the day before I went to Alabama. Once I got there things went down hill fast and I just couldnt stay on top of the load. I had never seen humidity that low and just didnt know which way to go. By the time I figured it out I was dead anyway. I guess that is why I am so interested in the subject.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Psitmac,
I think I read that they are crediting Varmit Al with a lot of the experimentation leading to the new design.