Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Tubbs Final Finish in a Used Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 11:16 AM

Tubbs Final Finish in a Used Barrel

I did a search and did not find the exact answer I was looking for. I have a 9 year old 30-06 Weatherby Vangaurd that I have shot roughly a box to two boxes of shells through per year. When I got this rifle I was not aware of the break in process, so the barrel was not well maintained (cleaned once a season). Can I expect positive results using the Tubbs preloaded ammunition to polish my barrel or is this more for new barrels? I do not reload so the preloaded option is what I will have to use.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tubbs Final Finish in a Used Barrel

I use a Tubbs final final finish on all factory barrels, new or otherwise.

I don't use the full (all the bullets) but some of each. Goodgrouper and UncleB have posted regarding FF. I followed their posts and things have worked out very well.

Having said the above, I have no personal criteria pertaining when to use the final finish process. Copper fouling is a pretty fair indicator, though.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Tubbs Final Finish in a Used Barrel

I used the Tubbs kit, 1/2 the bullets and it worked well in my 06 savage it was also a used barrel. It was ok shooting but was a bear to clean. Before using Tubbs bulltets you need to throughly clean the barrel with sweets or equal, and clean every 3-5 shots with shooters choice or equal. I could only shoot 3 shots thru my savage and the barrel was too hot to fire. I would just clean the barrel while waiting for it to cool. My groups shrunk from 1 1/4 to 3/4" and velocities were unchanged. After Tubbs cleaning was much better and most importantly two tight spots in the barrel were completely eliminated. I had a lot of reservations about using this product and decided if it messed up my barrel I had an excuse to buy a new Shilen. Fortunately it worked very well and I am very pleased with my results.