Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Tubb Final Finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

Tubb Final Finish

I have a Savage 243 that shoots great, but will copper foul after a few rounds. It's a bear to clean. Has anyone tried the Tubb Final Finish Bullet to polish the barrel or is it better to use JB compound. It takes me an hour to clean. Don't have a bore scope, but the last two inches at the muzzle will show heavy copper fowling within 5 rounds! Any suggestions???
Old 01-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tubb Final Finish

I'll save you the trouble of a search.

Go here: Final Finnish?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

You can read my review of it on my site...

In short, I would never use the full kit in a gun that already shoots well. I would only use 1/3 of the kit per of each bullet stage.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

I've used it to help with heavily fouling factory barrels, and to break-in aftermarket barrels. I also dress up the lands with Tubbs TMS every ~300rnds.
No problems so far.

I don't believe use of all bullets in a kit, on one barrel, was ever intended. I use a few of each grit. That's it. Brake-in in 10rnds.
JBs could never do the same thing as firelapping. There's just nothing in common really. JB is for cleaning out carbon.
Firelapping is not cleaning. It's knocking off of machined edges(from chambering) and drilling high spots down the bore. I like to think it also contributes to a slight bore taper, ensuring tightest at the muzzle. This I believe is why barrels often shoot a little better after treatment. Can't prove it, but there is no other reason I can think of for this result.

Also, many believe firelapping is polishing, it is not. Polishing a bore increases fouling.
Least fouling bores are lapped at a specific grit.
You wanna mess up a barrel? Use Flitz or JB 'bore polish'. This will cause crazy copper fouling, until the bore is re-lapped properly, which by then may be detrimental.
I learned this easy enough(ruining a really good barrel).

Tubb's works. It's safe.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post

Also, many believe firelapping is polishing, it is not. Polishing a bore increases fouling.
Least fouling bores are lapped at a specific grit.
You wanna mess up a barrel? Use Flitz or JB 'bore polish'. This will cause crazy copper fouling, until the bore is re-lapped properly, which by then may be detrimental.
I learned this easy enough(ruining a really good barrel).

This info ^^^ is 100% correct in my opinion.

If you have any JB laying around, throw it away. It will clean a barrel fast and polish it just as fast. Polishing a bore reaps nothing but EVIL.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Mikecr;595601 Polishing a bore increases fouling..[/QUOTE]

Mike - That is not true. Did you mean "decreases fouling"? Most custom barrels come polished, and I have always found them easier to clean, with a very limited break in period.

I have tried firelapping factory barrels with the Neco system, and found no benefit to the process at all. Excessive firelapping can lengthen the leade.

Also, Tony Boyer and many competitive shooters swear by JB. I like it for carbon, but not copper removal.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Gene,

Think of new bores from custom shops as not polished but finished. Lapping removes tool marks and make the bore uniform. They use grits SEVERAL times rougher than the grit of JB, Flitz or Iosso. There is a reason for that. You want you bore 'smooth' but NOT polished. Polished increases copper fouling due to the increased surface area and subsequent friction.

Yes, some of the top match shooters use JB. They also have lots of barrels at their disposal. Many other top shooters admit that JB increases fouling due to polishing. They admit it cleans copper and fouling fast but also breaths life to more fouling.

If you doubt this, take a new barrel, break it in, develop some loads, note how easy it is to clean and then start using JB in your cleaning regimine. You will notice how quickly and badly your 'new' barrel will start copper foul.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.