Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Tubb Adjustable Muzzle Break?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

Tubb Adjustable Muzzle Break?????

Does anyone know anything about G.David Tubb's adjustable muzzle break?

While I am ramping up to let Kirby build me a .338 Allen Express on my CZ Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby I ran across this add at Gunbroker.com: so ya wanna shoot 1500 yrds 338 lapua mag : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Any information would be appreciated. It sounds like it might be a break that is adjustable for barrel harmonics, but I can't seem to find any info about it or get the builder to respond to my questions (even though I told him that I was *considering* letting him do the build---Fear not Kirby, you get the nod!!!)!

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 04-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tubb Adjustable Muzzle Break?????

DavidTubb.com.html

This is the link of DTs website, however most of the CF guys using tuners (which this really is) are finding that they need a minimum of 6-10 ounces of weight for their tuner on the end.

Somehow this does not look like it weighs anywhere close to that. Never seen or heard of anyone using it. Take a look at the Holland Radial brake on the Snake 2 gun, here under Gun Photos or Kirbys PK brake. the 338 Lapua needs a very good brake and I am just not sure the DT brake will cut it.

BH
Old 04-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Awesome---THANKS FOR THE LINK!!!

As far as recoil, I'm not too concerned. I shoot the same CZ550 Safari in .416 Rigby shooting a 325 gr. Barnes X to 2800 fps, and I shoot it PRONE to keep from busting my lip with my right thumb's knuckle while on a benchrest, LOL! I believe that I can handle the Allen Express without any brake at all, if I decided not to install one at all. I used the Rigby for Elk hunting in 2002, but since then I've been doing some ballistic calculations and while the Rigby has 6000 lb-ft energy at the muzzle and is equal to a .30-06 at 600 yards; the .338 Lapua, and Improved versions can carry TWICE that distance, maintaining the same energy. SO, since I have TWO .416 Rigbys (the other is a Ruger RSM), the CZ is getting a long range overhaul. :^)

I'll keep in mind the particular barrel weight that you mentioned, and send Tubbs an email to see how much it weights.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

I hate to say it but....Damn that thing is ugly.

And the installation looks worse with exposed threads (Needs a shroud like the Browning
Boss).

J E CUSTOM