Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

trying to get into long range shooting with something that wont break the bank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: trying to get into long range shooting with something that wont break the bank

shuamee it sounds to me like you've already decided on what you want before coming here.
"really looking for a rem in a 308 that is about as good as u can get factory"
Sounds like you want us to tell you to pick up the nearest gun on any pawnshop rack(90% chance of it being a Rem700 in .308)?

Ok here it is: Do whatever keeps your gunsmith happy.
Just buy a gun from him, and keep going back for more & more work as needed..
With this, you'll end up right where you've decided to be.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Bronze Member

Re: trying to get into long range shooting with something that wont break the bank

well if you shoot on a team and thats all you shoot then you should be able to tell me most anything about them. what the diff in the 10 and the 12 models? what exactly is the diff in the bolt? didnt quite follow all that. also how are these rifles bedded from the factory and which setup have u shot that seemed best to you? weight is not a prob gun will prob be on a bipod i have a 3.5-15x56 nxs to go on the gun. i like the looks of the 10fcp-sr but i really like the feel of the mcmillan stocks. keep in mind im not a die hard shooter i like to hit my target at any distance but the gun is just another toy to me
Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Bronze Member

This thread is getting very interesting,

I have been thinking of a 700 long action, with SS barrel, and gradually upgrading it, still thinking of the .308, also considering the larger ones. Nothing is written in stone, else I wouldnt be here. I have read a lot of good things about the .338, the only three rounds I have good experience with are the .270, the .308 and the 30-06 .

I am leaving MI this week for NE Wa so even on gun smiths I am wide open.

Which Savage model for a combo Elk and LR target rifle to start with ? What options are available for the Savage?

I do like shooting with a bipod, weight up to even 12 lbs isnt a problem. I hunt with Packgoats and am used to hauling in a pretty good camp so gun accesories arnt a problem. Next year I will have a five goat string. Fwiw.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

I gotta throw sako's little bother Tikka T3 in the mix here. I own four. The 308 varmint rig was a half moa outa the box with my loads. And sob moa with fed. Gold medal match. And the price was right.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Bronze Member

no nothing set in stone as to what im going to get yet. i like the rems i have and was just leanin that way i didnt know that savage had changed up there stuff i thought they were the same as they used to be so wasnt even considering them. now im open to them gonna go look at some and see what i think bout them. the biggest factor is i want to be able to take the gun to pretty much any smith for work. what im looking for is a 308 cal on the "best" factory platform.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Here's a pic of my little brother's group the other day in a stiff wind with my tikka. If she works why worry with a smith? I might put a bell and carlson stock on one but any smith can bed one
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
trying to get into long range shooting with something that wont break the bank-7d1d10c4-3438-4828-9a01-ada6bd44eea9.jpg  
Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Silver Member

I am a little curious about all the concern with a gun smith. Do you tend to require a lot of repairs? Most smiths are capable of bedding, muzzle breaking, and scope mounting regardless of action if it is fairly main stream. Or do you really like to tinker with one?