Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Trying to decide whether or not to interface Density Altitude into TRA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: Trying to decide whether or not to interface Density Altitude into TRA

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it'll surely bring on more confusion unless all other inputs are disabled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. All other atmospheric fields would be set to a default and eliminated or disabled upon checking the option to use DA.

[/ QUOTE ]

The use of DA bring no advantage at all, except to those who have it readily available in the Kestrel.

But...is it useful for us shooters? the short answer is NO.

Again, use of STANDARD CONDITIONS (Metro or ICAO) are the way to go. You can check Sierra's explanations where it's perfectly explained.

So any shooter trying to find a shortcut...will find only find a dead-end.

The shortcut is already there.

LoadBaseŠ Desktop & Mobile editions - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com
Old 01-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

[ QUOTE ]
Again, use of STANDARD CONDITIONS (Metro or ICAO) are the way to go. You can check Sierra's explanations where it's perfectly explained.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to dissagree. Unless of course I am not understanding what you are saying. This is what I think you are saying: Use standard conditions for whatever conditions you are shooting in. You have to use current condition to get accurate ballistics. Using DA would be a short cut, but FAR from a dead end. If it is not usefull to you, then your vote counts as such.

[ QUOTE ]
The use of DA bring no advantage at all, except to those who have it readily available in the Kestrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Scince most here use the Kestral 4000, I thought I would see what the demand was.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to dissagree. Unless of course I am not understanding what you are saying. This is what I think you are saying: Use standard conditions for whatever conditions you are shooting in. You have to use current condition to get accurate ballistics. Using DA would be a short cut, but FAR from a dead end. If it is not usefull to you, then your vote counts as such.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Scince most here use the Kestral 4000, I thought I would see what the demand was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I do not advocate the use of STANDARD CONDITIONS for accurate results, of course not.

But the use of standard conditions, are a good enough compromise, when nothing better is available.

Of course, much better and less confusing than using DA, just use altitude and for ranges uo to 600 yards yiedls results that are more than acceptable. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

LoadBaseŠ Desktop & Mobile editions - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com
Old 01-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Bronze Member

I'm just curios, cause I really don't know anything about this stuff. I was under the impression that altitude+temp+baro pressure all made up density altitude. So if you knew what the density altitude was you wouldn't have to input everything else? Would it be the same as inputing everything else?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I believe you are correct.

DA = temp, pressure and humidity. Altitude isnt a factor scince BP is read.

Adding an option to use DA would allow a user to enter one number instead of 3 or 4. Is it simpler or more complicated? Thats what I am trying to decide.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Much simpler.
Paul