Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Trying to decide whether or not to interface Density Altitude into TRA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Trying to decide whether or not to interface Density Altitude into TRA

I am looking for opinions and/or feedback on using density altitude in ballistic software.

Alot of shooters here use the Kestral 4000 which will give you DA. Is it something you guys want to be able to use instead of entering all the typical atmospheric fields or would you all rather enter temperature, pressure, humidity, etc...?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Trying to decide whether or not to interface Density Altitude into TRA

I really don't see the need for it. In fact using DA won't solve the problem at all...

On the other hand, the use of Standard Conditions solves very accurate the firing solution.

LoadBaseŠ Desktop & Mobile editions - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com
Old 01-19-2007, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Not really trying to solve any problems. If anything it would be a convinience to use that option. I guess I am just looking to see if there is any interest in the use of it.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:44 AM
Gold Member

Re: Trying to decide whether or not to interface Density Altitude into

[ QUOTE ]
Not really trying to solve any problems. If anything it would be a convinience to use that option. I guess I am just looking to see if there is any interest in the use of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spoke with the people that wrote the Sierra software last spring about this - at first they didn't know what I was talking about. After a few e-mails, they said that the next upgrade would incorporate a "switch" in the environmental menu that will allow picking standard altitude "0"FABMSL, and you enter local altitude, and the baro from the local weather station or airport, and the sofware will correct the baro (1" baro for each 1000 ft)... or, you can over-ride that, and the altitude will always be locked at "0" FAMSL, and you enter only the local baro from your Kestral.

The upgrade is to be out "Sometime in 2007".

LRH member #23
Old 01-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

I think it would be a good option for those who wish to use it. But it'll surely bring on more confusion unless all other inputs are disabled.
I'll see if I can post a method of use in the pinned thread "Altitude -vs- Barometric pressure".
Won't be easy given many bullet BCs are referenced to StdMetro vs ICAO(from which DA holds applicability). Looks like a DA bias of 625 is needed for StdMetro conditions to prevent errors in standards.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Trying to decide whether or not to interface Density Altitude into

[ QUOTE ]
a "switch" in the environmental menu that will allow picking standard altitude "0"FABMSL, and you enter local altitude, and the baro from the local weather station or airport, and the sofware will correct the baro (1" baro for each 1000 ft)... or, you can over-ride that, and the altitude will always be locked at "0" FAMSL, and you enter only the local baro from your Kestral.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what TRA already does.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
But it'll surely bring on more confusion unless all other inputs are disabled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. All other atmospheric fields would be set to a default and eliminated or disabled upon checking the option to use DA.