Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Trutec nitriding experience?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Gold Member

Trutec nitriding experience?

I searched around and found a bunch of threads where guys were going to send stuff off and try this..... anyone done it? I was told by Trutec that stainless and moly were both acceptable but need to be in seperate batches so a moly action with stainless barrel needs to be seperated if both are to be done.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Trutec nitriding experience?

I would think you want to separate your action and barrel anyway.

Benchmark also does nitriding. I've talked with Joel Kendricks (Trutec) and I'm going to talk with Benchmark also. One of them will probably do my barrels.

-Mark
Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Silver Member

You've peeked my interest! I understand it's an anti friction coating, (dry lubrication), right?

Now is it the same stuff that's put on drill bits, and other cutters, or same idea diferent stuff? What is the process like?

Is it just the bore, like chrome lining? Or is it inside and outside?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Gold Member

It's not a coating. It actually changes the metal structure and hardness. It seems to have merit. The only worry I have is that it could make the surface too brittle. Someone must of tried this out. It cost $60 to get a barrrel done and if it can give you even 1/3 longer life on the big mags it would save you a bunch of money.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

my barrel is boron/nitrided. 500+ rounds down range no change in accuracy.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Silver Member

More questions about the process:

Is it performed on new barrels, or broken in barrels?

Would you do it on an new lapped custom barrel?

Is there a better wear for the bolt ways when a reciever is done?

How is the color?

It sounds like surface, or case hardening.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyGP View Post
More questions about the process:

Is it performed on new barrels, or broken in barrels?
Best to break the barrel in first. Any "rough" spots will become permanent after treatment. Kendricks recommend about 30 shots. At the same time, low round count barrels are recommended. Higher round count barrels have show a decrease in accuracy after being treated.

Quote:
Would you do it on an new lapped custom barrel?
Definitely... especially a custom. A custom barrel, after chambering, crown, etc., is going to cost about $500-$700. The indications are that nitridng will increase barrel life 2-4 times. once again, best to break-in the barrel. Also, this process relieves stress in the steel and that may affect how your barrel shoots. Some factory barrels are not stress relieved, so there might be some difference in the way they shoot after treatment. Also, receivers may warp slightly after being treated, so best to bed the receiver after treatment. If it's already bedded, I would probably not get it done.

Quote:
Is there a better wear for the bolt ways when a reciever is done?
You can have the bolt done as well. You need to remove any parts that might be damaged by the 100* heat first. Not all actions can be nitrided. Cast actions like Vanguard/Howa can not be treated. Rems and Savages can. Some customs can and some customs can't. It all depends on the steel that they are made from. Best to consult the treater first to make sure.

Quote:
How is the color?
Black to Blue Black, satin to matte.

Quote:
It sounds like surface, or case hardening.
It molecularly changes the surface of the metal.

There's some good info in this thread...

What do ya'll think about a 6.5-375 Ruger?

If you search the net, you'll find more info.

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-17-2011 at 09:49 AM.