Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Trueing the action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

Trueing the action?

What exactly is involved in "trueing the action of a rifle?"
Can just any gunsmith do this? What are the approx. costs involved?
Old 01-17-2005, 06:23 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Trueing the action?

First the bolt head must be flat with the chamber,and the lugs flat with their surface,and the whole thing needs to be straight with the bore and then the back of the bolt must follow suit with the above.Then the safety issue,and the sear must match up with it's counter part.I would REAL picky as to whom i paid for thes services.Some guns are great from the factory and some are should be scrapped,not all actions can be fixed.Savage uses a floating bolt,so theirs follows the,center.I've seen 700's almost bend the case.I look at the back doors to products,if there making butt loads of after market parts,then their polishing a turd.And last but not least,are you having problems getting good groups?If you reload you can check your action yourself,install a new round with a mark or headstamp letter in the barrel with a mark on your gun,shoot it,do this to 3 or 4 rounds then neck size only,reaload shoot 2 rounds installed the same way,then 2 180 out.If ther not the same on paper you have problems.Around 6-7 hundred for truing with a new barrel.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Bronze Member

Hey Tho
I've got a local smith who charges 4 to 5 to do what you are talking about. The only thing he does not do is turn the inside of the bolt face. how much difference will this make. I have been thinking about letting him do a project but don't want to waste my money on a custom gun and it not shoot what I expect.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:01 PM

i charge $300.00 to true up a remington action. face off the front of action. recut action threads,recut where lugs seat,recut bolt lugs front and back,recut face of bolt and the o.d of the face of bolt, ream action out to 0.705 then put two sleeves on the bolt. i true the bolt up to be centered from the firing pin hole. www.parrysgunsmithing.com
Old 01-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Bronze Member

Can you true-up a Weatherby action? Easier? Harder?

Learning all I can.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:58 AM

i dont have the tools to do a weatherby only winchester and remington is the two actions that i will fully blueprint.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Bronze Member

How much to add a new barrel to the job you described above?