Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Trouble shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2007, 06:49 PM

Trouble shooting

I just had a 6-6.5x47 Lapua built. The 2 loads I have worked with so far are 39 and 40gr of H-4350 with cci 400 primers behind 105 Bergers. No pressure signs are evident and both loads shot good but I have been getting what I would conceder excessive smoke. This may not be a problem but I have not experienced this before. A friend that was with me today commented, “What are you shooting in that thing, black powder?” At that point I knew it was just not in my head. LOL Any thoughts?

I am though having problems with ignition. No hang fires but I had the firing pin bushed and the pin is “just” striking the primer. Sometimes if fires and sometimes it don’t. My gunsmith is working on that issue now. I guess my question is other than the ignition problem is there anything I should be doing different or any other primer or powder combinations I should try? Thanks!

Good hunting.

Q,
Old 10-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Wagoner View Post
I just had a 6-6.5x47 Lapua built. The 2 loads I have worked with so far are 39 and 40gr of H-4350 with cci 400 primers behind 105 Bergers. No pressure signs are evident and both loads shot good but I have been getting what I would conceder excessive smoke. This may not be a problem but I have not experienced this before. A friend that was with me today commented, “What are you shooting in that thing, black powder?” At that point I knew it was just not in my head. LOL Any thoughts?

I am though having problems with ignition. No hang fires but I had the firing pin bushed and the pin is “just” striking the primer. Sometimes if fires and sometimes it don’t. My gunsmith is working on that issue now. I guess my question is other than the ignition problem is there anything I should be doing different or any other primer or powder combinations I should try? Thanks!

Good hunting.

Q,
The reaction inside a primer is so violent, that it either doesn't fire, or it fully fires. I use H-4350 in a 264 WM, and it is a very clean and smoke free powder.

Usually, when you are getting a lot of smoke, the pressure is too low.

Get the pin fixed and run up the loads until you see the usual suspects... that should rid you of smoke.

LRH member #23
Old 10-14-2007, 08:23 PM

I may have jumped the gun a little. No pun intended. It has been a hectic week LOL The gunsmith took apart the bolt and everything was fine except for a lot of excess heavy oil. We cleaned it up and that eliminated the problem. The smoke, I think was do to the light fog and misty conditions I was shooting in.

Thank you and good hunting.

Q.