Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Trophy Bonded Tip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

Trophy Bonded Tip

I was recently informed by Mphstigerfan(L/R/H member), that Speer/Federal came out with a new bullet. The Trophy Bonded Tip. It has a simmilar design to the Barnes Mrx,&TTSX, in that it has rings to reduce fowling, and lower pressure. It has a yellow colored tip. And its nickle plated/or coated. The main difference is its NOT a solid copper, or copper and tungsten bullet. It has a lead (core foreward design) thats ''bonded'', and the jacket is ''scived''.And it nickel coated.
Does anyone know if JUST THE BULLET(NOT Federals factory ammo) is available to hand loaders? This bullet looks promising, and Id like to experiment with it while I have time,as Im laid off currently.
Any info at all? anybody?

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Trophy Bonded Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I was recently informed by Mphstigerfan(L/R/H member), that Speer/Federal came out with a new bullet. The Trophy Bonded Tip. It has a simmilar design to the Barnes Mrx,&TTSX, in that it has rings to reduce fowling, and lower pressure. It has a yellow colored tip. And its nickle plated/or coated. The main difference is its NOT a solid copper, or copper and tungsten bullet. It has a lead (core foreward design) thats ''bonded'', and the jacket is ''scived''.And it nickel coated.
Does anyone know if JUST THE BULLET(NOT Federals factory ammo) is available to hand loaders? This bullet looks promising, and Id like to experiment with it while I have time,as Im laid off currently.
Any info at all? anybody?
Nope, not available as component. neither is the XP3 from Winchester, which isn't that different. If you want bonded, it is Swift Scirrocco, Nosler Accubond or Hornady Interbond.

Federal just made 8Million rounds of trophy bonded for the military in 5.56 though.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

The Federal Trophy Bonded Tip is the "next generation" of the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, which I believe is available separately.
Addendum - the Federal site shows both available...?
http://www.federalpremium.com/ammuni...g/bullets.aspx

I tried those Winchester XP3s once.
And only once.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

I see its listed under ''components'', but theres a pic and write up next to it of ''factory loaded ammo''. They dont say what grain, or a price.........confused.
Thank you for the link tho, Ill play around with it a little and see if I can figure it out.

What does the millitary need ''8 million bonded bullets'' for? I was under the impression that they swiched to ''green'' ammo, or fmj? Thats cool that they use bonded, I just dot see what they would use them for. Got any more information about thier use? or just do what they say,and dont ask questions

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

I just went and searched, it appears that they are comming out as a component. Midway lists the 165g as comming soon.

Steve
Old 03-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Bronze Member

thegunsource.com: Federal Reloading Equipment fed blt 270cal 130gr trophy bonded

I thought Speer, Barnes, Nosler, etc. made all the bullets for Federal ammo.

Federal Premium - Bullets

No .224 yet.

SOST is the acronym for the new 5.56 and 7.62 NATO rounds from Federal. Not sure if they are doing a 6.8SPC round or not.

Last edited by ForneyRider; 03-09-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: SOST
Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like I need a Midway catalog. Thanks for the help guys. These things should be fun to play with when they come available this year.
Anny thoughts as to nickle jackets and barrel life?