Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Trigger pull on an AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

Trigger pull on an AR-15

I just picked up my left-handed DPMS 20" Bull Panther yesterday and spent the day at the range with my buddy.

This was my first experience with any type of AR rifle. I purchased the JP adjustable trigger when I purchased the rifle.

The first few shots, I kept telling Jim pulling, pulling, still pulling the trigger......BANG! gun finally went off. Not sure what the trigger pull is, but it's much heavier than I am use to. It took a bit of getting use to, but we had a great time shooting it.

What's considered a normal but safe trigger pull on an AR type rifle. I'm used to 2 lbs on my bolt actions, but something tells me, that's way too light for an AR.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 12-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Trigger pull on an AR-15

Hey Jeff, I got a Colt that had a really bad factory trigger. It took me about two weeks to decide I needed another trigger. I bought a Jewell two stage trigger, fully adjustable for both stages and sear engagement. I got mine down to .5 pound on the first stage and a pound on the second for a total of 1.5 pounds. Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

Jeff,
The answer really depends on what you intend to do with the rifle. If it is a bench/varmint gun a very light pull is desirable. If you intend to use it as an assult/defense rifle, 4-6 would probably be more in line. Remember, when the adrenaline is flowing the sense of touch and the fine motor skills can be greatly reduced. A 2lb trigger could land you in a world of hurt with the leagle eagles if you have a neglent discharge during a time of stress. If you only plan on punching paper and sending woodchucks to the big bean field in the sky, a 2lb trigger is much better [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

NOrmally on a gas gun, anything under about 2 pounds or so is not a super safe trigger. Even 2 stage. Jewell is a waste of money. Go to White Oak Precision and tell him you want a tuned RRA trigger for a match rifle and light in weight.

This comes from me, who probably has more ARS in his safe than most. And can shoot those in his sleep. FYI I"ve been to Perry so many times with my AR that I promise you I'm not steering you wrong.
Other option is the Knight trigger. Very expensive and fairly hard to come by. But the tuned(not factory)RRA as done by JOhn Holliger is all you'll ever want or need.

Jeff
Old 12-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Sponsor

Jeff,
The JP trigger is adjustable safely down to 2.0 lbs. I have put several in customer guns and have a couple in my own. I own 6 ar-15 of different conf. I used a JP triggered ar to win several 3 gun championships and placed 9th at the 3 gun nationals. They work well for the pull you want you can set it up crisp and bolt rifle like. I like the same trigger action you do. If you intend to ever even think about this AR as a tactical rifle 2.0 is to light, 4lbs would be much better.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Silver Member

Where did my reply go??? Maybe Its still at the office and didn't go through. Will see in the morning.

Jeff
Old 12-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Shawn Carlock,

Can you email me directions on setting the trigger pull on the JP trigger. I tried reading JP's 6 pages of info they sent me with the gun. Damn, I'm an engineer and it's got me totally baffled. I feel it's got to be a quite simple process, but there instructions are written so I can't figure them out.

Any help you can give me would be great.

Thanks

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!