Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Triangular barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Triangular barrel

Hey guys,

Someone may have already commented on this, but I will go ahead anyway.

I saw at the local sporting goods store tonight some Remington rifles with triangular barrels. Is this just a sales gimmick, or is there some merit to the shape?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 07-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Triangular barrel

Seems like in theory, it could reduce weight and maintain decent ridgidity. I dont know for sure, just a thought. The tri-angle shape in and of itself has been proven to be one of if not the strongest designs.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:36 AM
Platinum Member

Guy at the range had one in a 22-250 and said it shoots well. My problem with it is how you gonna replace that barrel if you shoot it out? Ain't nothin wrong with stainless or chrome moly barrels. Its a gimmic.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:51 AM
Gold Member

"How you going to replace that barrel when you shoot it out?" I believe that those triangular barrels are SS. Just like you would with any other 700 Rem. You may not be able to get the triangular contour but you could rebarrel it with a Krieger, Shilen, Lilja etc.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
Seems like in theory, it could reduce weight and maintain decent ridgidity. I dont know for sure, just a thought. The tri-angle shape in and of itself has been proven to be one of if not the strongest designs.
This was my thought exactly. At first I thought it was odd looking, but the shape physically is the strongest. What I don't know is if the triangular shape makes any difference on the 26" tube.

Steve
Old 07-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

I assume the barrel channel is flat. Am I wrong? Makes no sense for a triangular barrel to sit in a round channel.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

The points of the triangle are flattened. The barrel is situated so that the top of the triangle is the top of the barrel. Thus the bedded part of the barrel is the bottom of the triangle, so flat not round.

Steve