Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

TORN - Remington? Savage? Or?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:36 PM

TORN - Remington? Savage? Or?

Hello All,
First of all, any advice will be greatly appreciated. I am in the market for a 22-250. I am looking for advice on what brand I should go with. I am trying to choose between the Remington 700 SPS in S/S and possibley a Savage. I have a lot of experiance with the Remingtons in other calibers but have never owned or shot a Savage. Any thoughts? (Also, if there is a better make than I have listed please share.) Thanks Again!!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

Re: TORN - Remington? Savage? Or?

If both rifle brands are typical, the Remington will shoot very well... and the Savage will shoot better still.

If you're ever going to build the gun, the Remington will probably be the better option, as that's the base that most 'smiths are familiar and most comfortable with.

But if you want to shoot it as is, right from the box, the Savage is almost certain to be the better performer.

Savages have button rifled barrels... a toggling bolt head that does not need to be lapped, the barrel nut makes for a more rigid barrel/receiver union (on average)... the lock time is shorter, it'll be pillar bedded and free floated... and the Accutrigger is pretty nice as well. The whole industry has been trying to catch up with Savage for about 10 years now...

Dan
Old 10-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Look at Howa as well. They haven't been playing catchup to anyone. Their out of the box accuracy is top notch. CZ is another one that is very good out of the box albeit a bit more expensive.

Scot E.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green 788 View Post
If both rifle brands are typical, the Remington will shoot very well... and the Savage will shoot better still.

If you're ever going to build the gun, the Remington will probably be the better option, as that's the base that most 'smiths are familiar and most comfortable with.

But if you want to shoot it as is, right from the box, the Savage is almost certain to be the better performer.

Savages have button rifled barrels... a toggling bolt head that does not need to be lapped, the barrel nut makes for a more rigid barrel/receiver union (on average)... the lock time is shorter, it'll be pillar bedded and free floated... and the Accutrigger is pretty nice as well. The whole industry has been trying to catch up with Savage for about 10 years now...

Dan
I would go with the savage to build too because you don't need a smith you just need a nut wrench, vice ,go/nogo gage, and some know how and you can do it all your self and save the smith cost to put in the rifle :-) but your right no the rest

P.S. f you do go savage look at the model 12 varmint low profile great looking gun :-)
Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

I got a Savage Predator in 22-250 a couple of years ago. Handloads or factory, it shoots .25-.5 MOA. Great trigger, nice barrel weight, good balance,

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM

In the past two years I have bought four rifles. 2 Remington 700's and two Savage model 11's with accutriggers. With in Six months both Remingtons got new stocks to get the barrel to free float, and rest both in an aluminum full bedding block for more riggity and better consistancy. They cost $275 (including shipping) . Both savages are as they were the day they left the factory. Now after the additional cost to the Remingtons they all shoot wonderfully. I have no hard feelings with Remingtons and own a number of 700s and plan on buying more in the future (if the price is right). But IMO Savage has a better equiped more accurate rifle out of the box at a lower initial expense to the buyer. They require nothing more then some quality glass and a little range time to qualify as a great shooter.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter5 View Post
Hello All,
First of all, any advice will be greatly appreciated. I am in the market for a 22-250. I am looking for advice on what brand I should go with. I am trying to choose between the Remington 700 SPS in S/S and possibley a Savage. I have a lot of experiance with the Remingtons in other calibers but have never owned or shot a Savage. Any thoughts? (Also, if there is a better make than I have listed please share.) Thanks Again!!
My own 22-250 is the VLS model...with the laminated wood stock. After 2 boxes of factory ammo thru it...the 3rd box gave me 3 shot groups I can cover with a dime at 100 yds. 6-18X Leupold on it.

I owned 1 SPS model...a 243. My hands were black withing 5 minutes of getting it from that nasty cheap finish coming off the metal. I had it 1 day before sending it off to be rebarreled to 260 caliber HB and bought the factory remingtom VLS stock for it. It now shoots 3 shots touching at 100 yds

Savage? Dont own one...dont want one. Ask around about the firing pin hanging up inside the bolt..!!!....