Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Top factory ammo choices.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 PM

Top factory ammo choices.

I would first like to formally introduce myself. My name is David, I am 25 years of age and have in the past few years have taken up deer hunting. I bow hunt for the most part but only because I have never owned a long rang rifle. I am not new to shooting but most of my experience is with lever guns. I have recently purchased the T/C Dimensions rifle chambered in 7mm rem mag. After doing some review reading on optic choices I ended up purchasing the SWFA SS 10x42 MRAD scope per recommendation. I am now trying to find a good factory load to use in this rifle. I have done some research ( which is not the same as shooting I know) and I have started to lean towards the 154 gr Hornady SST superformance ammo. My primary needs are a good hunting round for up to 700 yards. I will also be doing some long range target shooting for fun. The group of friends of mine ( that I drug into this life long habit of shooting with me) and I have talked about getting into the reloading part of shooting and hunting. This will probably take a while to take effect so I am really looking for a good factory load in the mean time. Any and all perspectives will be weighed. Thanks guys............and girls?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM

Re: Top factory ammo choices.

a little help guys? I am sure this topic is old news to you all but I would appreciate some responses. I have done search's on this site for the info I am looking for but came up empty handed or I would not have bored you all with this thread.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Gold Member

All we can tell you is what's out there. What your rifle likes is up to, well, your rifle.

Unfortunately you chose a very expensive factory ammo cartridge, so anyone that shoots more than 5 rounds in September and 2 rounds in December reloads for it.

You'll just have to buy a variety of factory loads and try it out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=15898
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

I use factory loads for barrel break in and in a pinch and always Federal Match or HSM. Both hard to obtain as of late.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

i like a variable power scope and while i have killed a lot of game with the 3.5x10 ; i like more power, i use a 6.5-20 now mostly. also , using factory ammo in a "factory " rifle you may go through a LOT of different ammo before you find something accurate. ammo loaded with the berger bullets and plastic tip bullets like the balisitic tip, accubond and sst are a good place to start. you do not say where you are except that you are shooting at deer to 700 yards. that takes a VERY Good rifle , scope and ammo . no doubt a 7mm mag cartridge will do it. i have shot 7mm in competition to 1000 YARDS. it is a great round.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

had you asked me - a rem sendero, pss or 5-r. or winchester laredo and a 6.5-20 leup would be a good place to start. next the ammo. start shooting and see how it does. roninflag
Old 06-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
had you asked me - a rem sendero, pss or 5-r. or winchester laredo and a 6.5-20 leup would be a good place to start. next the ammo. start shooting and see how it does. roninflag
Agreed, Rem 700 5R, PSS or Sendero with a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 would have been a better place to start, IMO.

However, that's just simply my opinion. I like the Thompson Center Encore, Pro-Hunter and the single-shot rifles, but I just have never cared for their bolt-actions. I'll stick with my Remmy 700's....Tons of aftermarket parts readily available, and it's cheap and easy to true one, and every smith knows how to work on one.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.