Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Today's practice session

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Today\'s practice session

4ked Horn's family and I went out to practice today in preparation for shooting chucks with Goodgrouper coming up here in a few weeks. Since it sounds like the shots we will have will be in the 800+ yard range, we need get out and determine our dope for that range since we have only been practicing at 400 yards (400 yards is like a chip shot now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).
it was a little windy when we started, but it was coming from our 5:30 or so at 4-5mph with slight gusts. This was the first group of the day at 500 yards, cold and clean barrel.

The 3 that are grouped together are under 1.5 inches apart (the white circle is 12"). As for the other 2, I think it was me (and my table) more than anything. My table was moving slightly in the gusts of wind [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img], I'm pretty sure the group of 3 were shot during a slight lull in the wind (no table movement). I will have to fix that movement issue! The table probably wouldn't move so much if it weren't so damn big.
We also set the 13" gong at 600 yards and were smacking it as well.
Next week we will move on to 700 and 800 yards, mainly to figure out our actual elevation vs. what the drop charts show.

Here is the table. I think I will add some legs to the corners that can be deployed on a windy day.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Today\'s practice session

It was a windy day but fun as well. I was especially happy when I cranked 18.5 MOA up and 2 MOA over and hit 10 o'clock 4" out from center and 6 o'clock 1/2 inch below center with my first two shots out of a cold barrel AFTER screwing the quick detatch scope and mount back on my (brace your self) Mini 14!!! This was 600 yards folks. From a stock barrel. This might not amaze some of you but it makes me extatic.

The wife got some trigger time at 600 yards with the .308 and 100 yards with newly milled and remounted iron sights on the Mini. My oldest boy (6 yrs) burned up his share of .22s and did a reasonable job of it at a 50 yard steel popper.

All in all it was a beautiful day despite the wind and we had a great time.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: Today\'s practice session

Mini 14 my @$$...... Actually I know exactly how good that is at 600. Consider yourself as lucky as you consider yourself!!

Jeff