Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Tired of blued gun, need new coating suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 PM

Tired of blued gun, need new coating suggestions

I've got a tikka varmint that I keep having a small rust issue with. I keep it clean and oiled, yet this gun seems to keep picking up a speck here and there. I would really like an anodized finish like my black guns. never had any issues with them, really haven't had any issues with any of my other blued guns either.

what cost effective coatings are available to me? I looked at hydro dipping, definitely not my thing. Cerakote? Parkerizing? how effective is painting with products designed for metal?

I went to the local gun shops and there are only 2 people in the area that they could refer me to, but they only do hydro dipping. Looked on the web and not really finding what I want.

any suggestions, companies you have used? any info would be helpful as this is my first venture into dealing with recoating a firearm.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Tired of blued gun, need new coating suggestions

What is your budget and how important are cosmetics to you. Most of my guns are built to shoot out in the wilds, so they get scratches, dings, etc. My favorite coatings are earth shades of Krylon - about $4 at Home Depot. :-)
Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Gold Member

If you are looking for a firearm coating, there is not much better than Duracote or Ceracote. If you have an oven to bake-on the finish use Ceracote. Both are 2 part coatings used with a reducer and a low pressure air brush

Duracote is much more forgiving if you air dry or use a lower drying temp. The dashboard of my truck in the summer gets up to 150*F. This has provided an excellent curing box for my stalking type rifles. So far I've only used black but there are a lot of color choices.

The final finish is durable and rustproof. Also it is easy to repair the finish if you drop the rifle on a sharp rock and put in the first "ding" in the finish. :-)
Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Cerakote is good stuff. Lasts a long time, too.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Bronze Member

Call Lee at Blackicecoatings.com He does a powdercoat teflon that is freakin awesome...will never durakote or anything again..he does everything on the gun that is metal..I don't even have to use lube on my bolt
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

+1 on duracoat it is cost effective and as far as lube just get it done in self lubricating (SL) same colors and basically same finish if you want I can text you pics of SL matte finish duracoat on an 870. I love this stuff. Just sold all my finishing equipment because of upcoming move and don't have space up there.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Bronze Member

I have had the best luck with Cerakote.