Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

tips on new long range rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 06:14 AM

tips on new long range rifles

Hello everyone. Right now I am in Iraq, but I plan on buying at least a few new rifles when I come home. The first rifle I plan to buy is a savage 93R17BTVS. It is a 17 hmr. I plan on using it for everything from ground squirrels up to bobcats and maybe a couple coyotes at ranges up to 200 yards. The second rifle I want is a savage model 10 predator hunter. I am undecided about which caliber to get it in. I will use it on everything from coons and wild domistic cats up to coyotes at ranges up to about 300 to 400 yards. The third rifle I want is a long range deer rifle. I have narrowed it down to three choices. My three choices are a savage model 12 fvss in 270 or 300 wsm, a savage model 12 varminter low profile in 300 wsm, and a remington 700 sendero sf 2 in 7mm rem mag, 7mm rum, 300 win mag, or 300 rum. About the farthest shot I will use the deer rifle for is about 400 to 500 yards. Does anybody have any of the rifles that I want to get? If you have any performance insight, I would really appreciate it. I want to know what to expect before I go spending very much money. On the deer rifle I really need some advice. I am leaning toward the savage because of the money issue. I like the low profile a little better because I think the stock will be higher quality.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: tips on new long range rifles

Hello and welcome

I have a 300wsm and frankly if your range is 300 yard max than that is all the rifle you would ever need. The Rums are more powerful and flatter shooting, but a 243 would even have enough power with a good shot to put down deer up to 400 yards away.

As for the 17hmr, I don't actually have one but I am familiar with it. I think it is slightly underpowered to take anything much larger than ground squirls at 200 yards reliably. A brush wolf is a little large for that range and cal. you would be better suited w/ a 22-250 or 223, but ammo is going to be more $$ too.

I also have a savage 12 fvl and you are right about the cheap stocks. the Sendero or the low pro would be better rifles but they will cost considerably more too.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

If it were me I'd get the Savage 12 Varmint LP in 308 , you will have plenty of power for deer out to 600yds , plenty of factory loaded ammo to shoot everything from Praire Dogs to Elk. You would have great barrel life , not a bunch of recoil and .
Old 12-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Welcome and Thank you for your service !

I have the 300WSM Varmint low profile model 12 topped with a Weaver grandSlam 6-20.
I am shooting 185 gr Berger VLD's over H4350 @ 2990 f/sec MV into 3/4 inch groups at 300yds.
It is a very nice rifle for ambush style hunting .
It is heavy but the weight cuts down on recoil ( no problem to shoot a box or more in a range session )

Mike
Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

First off, I would also like to thank you for your service!!!

I have owned and reloaded for several different senderos, and I have had alot of great luck with these rifles. I personally beleive the ultra mag is overkill. Take a good hard look at the 7 rem mag. with 168 berger handloads, I think you will be impressed.

Tony.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:00 AM

I have the Savage 17hmr you like and I wouldn't trade mine for the world. I use it for culling the local turtle population in several stock tanks. It's definately a point and click rifle up to 150 yards. The ranges I engage the turtles is about 50-75 yards on a target that is no more than 2"X1" and the results are devistating. I'd be careful using it on coyotes because you have to get them right in the ear for it to be a good kill shot. Otherwise you're just wounding them which I don't consider to be good hunting.

I have another Savage Model 10FCP HS Precision in 308 that I use for deer hunting and target shooting out to 1000 yards. Granted, I don't shoot at deer out past 400 yards but I've heard of Game Wardens culling herds at 800 yards with the 308. What I'm trying to say is that the 308 is a good dependable round with tons of data and reloading options that can be used for almost any situation. Plus it isn't a "barrel burner" like some of the other hotter/flatter rounds. Just something to consider if you'll be doing plenty of shooting.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

I would also like to thank you for your service and wish a safe return!

If 400-500 yards is your max and the game is deer, I'd stick with a standard .270, 7mm or 30-06. (Probably going to get hit hard for this one, but I've never really been a .308 fan, there I said it, let the slaughter commence ) Plenty of power out to that range, easier on barrels than the mags, easy to find components, cheaper brass and easy recoil. There's no reason that you couldn't use any of these calibers for your medium varmint gun either. To the contrary, it's great to practice hitting those small targets with your hunting rifle. Could keep costs down too.

I love my Savage rifles and do not hesitate to recommend them.

It sounds like you're just getting into the long range side of things and should you decide to bump up to a larger caliber, the Savage is only a bolthead and screw on barrel away from anything you want to upgrade to.