Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Timney trigger issiues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

Timney trigger issiues

I put in a timney 510 trigger in my 700 . 308 last January .
started having problems last weekend with the bolt not resetting after snapping the trigger . so I removed the action from the stock and just cleaned with lighter fluid , have looked on the web for videos on adjusting , not being able to find much on their web site . any suggestions .

the pull weight seams fine around 2.5 pounds . could their be problems with my bolt ?

I have called timney waiting for a call back .
Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Timney trigger issiues

I have had more bad timney triggers than good ones. the problem is in the trigger assembly it needs sent back, preferably for a refund so you can put that money toward a jewell. Or you can gamble on another Timney. I have only 1 timney now and its very very good. That is the only reason I still own it.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 04-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Bronze Member

I have had only one Timney, a customized 1908 Mauser in 7X57. Worked flawlessly. Having said that, I now have 4 Jewell's on my other 700's. IMO Jewell sets the standard.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Jewell is the way to go. They are the gold-standard for triggers, IMO.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

Well I called timney and tech told me to back the rear sear screw out ,did that didn't work !

Fixing to send it back !

Would anything else cause my bolt not to cock after racking it ?

Or the trigger resets the bolt each time you rack it ?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

I'd try to increase the pull weight just a little. Timney's are easy to adjust. If that doesn't work then yeah, send it back for inspection.

Regarding the Jewell, I've only had one on an AR and it was very nice. I now have two Timney's on a couple bolt rifles and no problems with either of them functionally. Had some rust on one after the rifle was in the rain for an entire weekend, but that could almost be expected. Timney cleaned it up, no charge. Do some research and you'll find people who have their Jewells in very dirty conditions start having problems. This problem has many competition shooters no longer favoring the Jewell. The Timney on my match rifle has seen rain (followed by some rust), sleet, and lots of dirt. Again, other than the rust, no problems thus far for over a year. Not trying to knock the Jewell, but it isn't the end all of triggers. Timney may not be either.

Good luck with your problem, hope you get it working again.

Geb
Old 05-01-2014, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

Do you have another trigger to put in for testing? It sounds like it may not be a trigger problem?