Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Time to pick some brains...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Time to pick some brains...

Referring to ID of necks is strange for sure.
You apparently don't need to neck size the fired factory brass until after the second firing. I can tell you neck tension takes on a new meaning with brass this rediculously thick. Use as little as measurable(it will be enough).

Personally, I'd pick up new Win brass rather than reloading factory.

Unread 02-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Bronze Member

Half the reloads I just fired were actually new ww brass. I'm thinking of reloading some that measure for very little neck tension and seing what that does. I have made up my mind that I'll probably scrap the barrel and stock anyway. Just can't be happy with a round with the velocity capability of that rifle having a 22" barrel anyway. That brings me to another question, anyone have any suggestions for barrels as far as groove and twist? I understand twist rates fairly well but making a decision on grooves I have nothing to go on. What kind of difference does it make? What I've got in mind should make a fairly decent long range coyote gun when I'm done with it.
Unread 02-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

Ok Hear is the problem, I have worked with several of these damn wssm's well I shouldn't say that because once you figure out what the problem is you can fix it. The only brass available is winchester the design is a thicker than normal neck material this will give more tension alone. If your sizing die is bringing down your neck to much get a bushing die. The real problem with the wssm's is the brass is to damn hard anneal your brand new brass and alot of your poblems disapear. Hope this helps