Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Time for a new barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2003, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

Time for a new barrel

I came home from work tonight a very happy hunter. I received an unexpected incentive check. Enough to pay off a couple of bills, plus buy a new barrel. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

A couple of months ago, I picked up a Savage 110 in .338 Winchester Magnum, with the intention of making a donor of the action.

I'm thinking of going with a 300 Ultra Mag Improved, with a 32" Lilja barrel. But I am open to suggestions.

I picked the caliber, due to bullet choices, and I felt it was about the best LR caliber I can build on this action. Any thoughts, good or bad?

I've had good luck with Lilja barrels, and keep reading more good things about them every day. From what I've read, 32" is about as long as I can go with out having to go to a barrel block, and I don't want to go there with this action.

My goal is to build a Long range coyote rifle. The range will be limited to the distance I can reach out to and still shoot 4"-5" groups.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 01-28-2003, 02:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Time for a new barrel

Hey Tim,

I just bought a 30 cal Lilja barrel for my wifes new gun. I'm 95% sure I'm going to use the 338 Lapua case case improved and necked down. The 700 won't handle the 1.35" straight tube well without a block so...

I like the Lapua case. My remington brass for my 300 Ultra must be pretty soft stuff because the primer pockets are not real tight after just two firings at pretty normal pressures, 60-63K psi is what they've been running on the Oehler. I have ran a few up to 70k psi but they've been set aside. I don't imagine these will go 6-7 loads and I'll be after new ones unless I wan't to tape the primers in. I might be wrong but it doesn't look good at this point.

The brass was very consistant stuff, that was good. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2003, 11:54 AM

Tim

I do not know if you can get the .590" diameter bolt face for the savage. If you can, I would highly recommend the Lapua case as your starting point. We modify bolt faces to work all the time, and the Lapua brass is so superior to the others, we are getting 10 to 15 firings from a case at 68,000 psi. and the neck shoulder area needs to be annealed before the primer pockets get loose. The Savage has a much finer thread than the remington, and picks up strength for dealing with pressure in this way.

The Lilja barrels shoot better than anything else we have tested, however there are many quality barrel makers like Kreiger, Rock, Hart, K & P, HS Precision, Obermeier, and Schneider, that have proven over many years the fine quality of their products.

Conventional "wisdom" says you should not go over 32" without a block, with the right barrel profile and some fluting, it is not hard to reach the same load values with a 36" barrel. Keep in mind most people giving this 'boxed in' advice heard it from a gunsmith somewhere, and have not done any real world calculations to determine cantilevered loads. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2003, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Tim

go to dan lilja's website and look at what he recommends. If you have any questions, emial him. You will have a response normally that day or next at latest. Personal opinion is that you are going to be pushing it with 32". Second think you will find a tapered barrel is way to go. Better balance, lighter weight and tapered barrels seem easier to tune that straight barrels.

Good luck

BH
Old 01-28-2003, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

I thought about going with the 338 Lapua and necking it down, but didn't think I'd see more than 50-100 FPS for a lot of extra expense and work.

Unless I'm not understanding things right, Lapua also makes brass in the 300 RUM. I was planning on using it. I switched from Remington to Norma in my 7 Mag a while back, and won't hardly touch the Remington any more, it made such a difference.

32" is all I'm willing to go at the moment, if I add a break to it, I'm going to have a hell of a time getting it into and out of the Jeep. If it won't fit into the hunting rig, it's not going to be much use.

If you can see a better way to reach my goals, with what I have to work with, don't be shy. I'm sure I'll find a better idea a week before it comes back from the 'smith. But if possible, I'd like to find it now [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2003, 03:21 PM
Bronze Member

"My goal is to build a Long range coyote rifle. The range will be limited to the distance I can reach out to and still shoot 4"-5" groups."

Tim, just a thought. You are going to get outside that accuracy somewhere between 400 yards and maybe 800 yards, depending on how well you and the rifle shoot. From that distance you have a lot of excellent choices without having any need to go with the expensive stuff that you have mentioned. Just about anything from a .257" dia. on up will get you to where you want to go.

If you are truly wanting to shoot at coyotes out to 800 yards a 6.5-284 would be a superb choice. Because of the high bullet BC, you would have to use the really really heavy 30 cal. bullets to even come close to the drop and wind drift that the good 6.5mm bullets have.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Bruce,

I already have a rifle capable of making one shot kills on coyotes out to 800 yards in 7 MM Remington Mag.

It is my hopes, that with the better available bullets in 30 cal. plus the extra expense and work, I'll be able to extend that range, at least another 4-500 yards.