Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Tikka T3 accuracy issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

Tikka T3 accuracy issue

So i have a T3 in a 7mm-08 that i recently put into a B&C medalist stock. First time out to the range is was averaging 3/4" groups with a variety of handloads. The second time out the groups opened up to 1.5-2" so at that time i figured i would have it bedded. After a local gunsmith bedded it for me i took it back out and with the same handloads i shot some groups that where under 1/2" perfect problem solved.....not so fast. Yesterday i took the rifle out again and yet again it opened up to an average of 1.5" groups.

I have checked everything as far as loose mounts which i have torqued to talleys specs and loctited. The stock is also torqued to 50 pounds as instructed by B&C. I only shoot 3 shot groups spaced apart every 3 to 4 mins and then let the rifle sit for 10-15 min as to not let it over heat. My handloads are all loaded to te same COL. The rifle is cleaned the same way after each time out and was broken in properly. I have never had a rifle that one day would shoot .5" and then the next shoot 1.5"-2" so i am stumped. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Tikka T3 accuracy issue

I'm a bit surprised you are able to get over 1 moa from a tikka.
I'd dump the load and re-work it. It sounds like you are right on the edge of a stable load. I've had that a bit with lighter for caliber bullets, rather slow powder for the combination, or milder ignition. Easy to fix once all the variables come to light.
You don't say what your load is or the variables in shooting conditions.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

Currently my 2 best loads where 49 grains of H4350 and 44 grains of varget both with a 120 grain ballistic tip. The conditions where all about the same as far as temps in the low to mid 80's with no wind at all. I know both powders are pretty stable as far as temp sensitivity. I have been using new remington brass(will be switching to norma when its available) all trimmed and case mouths opened along with federal LR primers.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

I'd think about going to the 140 grain bt instead of the 120. The 120 is rather light for decent uniformity. The rem brass shouldn't be an issue but norma has a good following also. Are you sure your scope is sound? Are you swapping powders mid range session? Some loads don't do well riding on another load's fouling. I just had that issue the other day with my 35 whelen; a load that is normally moa went to 2 to 3 moa because I shot a box of another load (with different powder) through it first.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

The scope is a new VX3 3.5-10 leupold so that doesnt concern me. I shot 3 groups with the H4350 first then went to the varget loads and got the same results out of both.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:21 AM

I have had a simlarly frustrating issue with a Tikka T3 in 7mmRM. Ultimately traced the problem to the Talley mounts shooting loose over about ten rounds. The problem was made worse by a rearported muzzle brake and the dual pulse recoil that these things generate. Bonded and torqued them many times before giving up and going to a pinned rail. Problem solved.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

Bell and Carlson recommends to torque the screws to 50lbs which i did. I also glass bedded the rifle as well so should i still torque to 50 or is that maybe too much now?