Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Tikka Accuracy Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: Tikka Accuracy Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka270win View Post
I should be able to go to a gunsmith about this right? They could tell me if something obvious was messed up?
As long as they have a borescope.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
As long as they have a borescope.
What if they dont have a borescope?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Be tough to diagnose. Has gun always shot like a turd? When you clean it does barrel seem to grab patch at certain spots or slide smooth the whole way?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I should be able to go to a gunsmith about this right? They could tell me if something obvious was messed up?
Yes. If the barrel is damaged and you need to replace it, you can either have the gunsmith put in a new barrel or you can still sell it for someone who wants to build a custom rifle out of it. It would not get you a new rifle price but still a decent value out of it. I know a few who would be very interested in T3 action and would pay a good value for one. Just FYI, I didn't mean to solicit on your thread.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Then I'd say he's not a real gunsmith and find someone else...
Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I purcased a tikka t3 lite 270 winchester at the end of last summer, and have never gotten it to shoot good groups. I have been using factory loads to try to get it to group but it hasn't worked. It is consistently getting 3-5 inch groups and I'm not sure why. I put new scope rings on just in case that was the problem and it hasn't helped at all. On it is a brand new Nikon Monarch so I find it hard to beleive it's the scope. And i have gone through and tightened bolts and mounts. The only thing i have left to try is check it for copper fouling, but it didn't shoot good groups when it was pretty new. Any suggestions on what to try/check for? I'm lost right now and have never even heard of a Tikka not shooting extremely accurately. And i have been using winchester factor 130s in case that matters. I am getting pretty frustrated with the gun. The only thing I've had happen while owning the gun was a broke an aluminum cleaing rod off inside it but carefully removed it with the other end of the rod and have been told that should in no way damage the barrel.
My t3 light .270 shoots incredible for about 5 rounds, after that the patter opens up from .5 inches to about 5 inches, then I have to clean the copper out and do it again. It is still a good rifle for hunting but it requires lots of upkeep, so I do not use it for plinking paper. Take some time cleaning it and get all of the copper out and then try it, make sure there is no more green or blue on the patches with a good copper solvent.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasgas View Post
My t3 light .270 shoots incredible for about 5 rounds, after that the patter opens up from .5 inches to about 5 inches, then I have to clean the copper out and do it again. It is still a good rifle for hunting but it requires lots of upkeep, so I do not use it for plinking paper. Take some time cleaning it and get all of the copper out and then try it, make sure there is no more green or blue on the patches with a good copper solvent.
The first time i shot it sighting it in it seemed to be adjusting correctly then since that it has done what you said. Any suggestions on copper solvent?